Southern Miss Overview & Facts
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future.
Southern Miss has a diverse student body of approximately 17,000 students from 56 different countries, all 50 states and every corner of Mississippi. We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in six degree-granting colleges with more than 180 degree programs. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to six teaching and research sites in Mississippi.
Characterized by history and tradition, the Hattiesburg campus sits on 300 acres in the heart of the Pine Belt. More than 180 buildings dot a landscape that has been transformed into a pedestrian-friendly environment for students, employees and visitors.
Southern Miss Gulf Coast is comprised of the Gulf Park campus and five teachings sites, bringing higher education to the three coastal counties of Mississippi.
Affording our students an experience that lasts a lifetime
- Offering study-abroad opportunities in 20 countries
- Providing meaningful research opportunities for students through the Center for Undergraduate Research
- Nationally recognized programs in the arts, polymer science and business
- Named one of the nation’s top business schools by U.S. News & World Report
- Home to the sixth oldest acceptance-based Honors College in the nation
Going beyond the boundaries of our campuses to enhance the quality of life in our state
- More than 91,000 hours of volunteer service logged by our students last year
- Hosting more than 300 arts events each year
- Responding to the challenges of a growing senior population through the Center on Aging
- Producing more than 800 health care professionals a year
Generating real-world solutions through transformative research
- Partnering with GE Aviation to focus on composites development processing for the GEnx aircraft engine
- Leading the development of sports security management research and solutions through our National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security
- Researching the acceleration of algae decomposition to develop alternative energy resources
Treasuring our history and traditions
- Performing since 1923, The Pride marching band is highly respected nationwide.
- We’ve won five Conference USA football championships, three NCAA track and field national titles and three Conference USA baseball championships.
- Winning national scholarships is a proud tradition of our Honors College. Since 2006, Southern Miss students have collected seven Goldwater Scholarships; two Truman Scholarships; 10 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships and numerous other prestigious awards.