Southern Miss Overview & Facts
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future.
Southern Miss has a diverse student body of more than 17,000 students from all 50 states and 70 foreign countries. We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in six degree-granting colleges with more than 180 degree programs. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to six teaching and research sites in Mississippi.
Characterized by history and tradition, the Hattiesburg campus sits on 300 acres in the heart of the Pine Belt. More than 180 buildings dot a landscape that has been transformed into a pedestrian-friendly environment for students, employees and visitors.
Southern Miss Gulf Coast is comprised of the Gulf Park campus and five teachings sites, bringing higher education to the three coastal counties of Mississippi.
Meeting the intellectual and human issues of the day
Through transformative research that translates into real-world applications, we are a proven leader in innovation.
- A partnership between GE Aviation and the University is focused on composites development processing for the GEnx aircraft engine.
- The Accelerator, a 60,000-square-foot business incubator, is providing a boost to start-up companies in the Gulf South region.
- Our National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security is leading the development of sports security management research and solutions.
- Focused sustainability efforts have resulted in a Climate Action Plan aimed at making the university carbon neutral by 2050.
Research, teaching and service transform students & community
From excellent academic programs to community outreach efforts, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us.
- Washington Monthly magazine ranks Southern Miss No. 69 nationally among public and private universities for our contributions to the public good, based on providing educational opportunities for low-income students, and for our research and community service.
- Educating more first-year teachers than any other public university in the state.
- Our students log more than 40,000 hours of community service each year.
- We host more than 300 arts events each year.
- Southern Miss produces the most entry-level nurses in the state per year.
- Our Center on Aging is responding to the challenges posed by the growing senior population with an emphasis on local and regional needs.
- Named one of the nation’s top business schools by U.S. News & World Report.
Top-flight educational experiences prepare students for the future
We provide unique learning opportunities and personal attention to our students to help them find their place at Southern Miss and beyond.
- Offering study abroad opportunities in 20 countries.
- The Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities.
- There are more than 290 student organizations on campus.
- Our student/faculty ratio is 17:1.
- We are home to the sixth oldest acceptance-based Honors College in the nation.
A tradition of academic and athletic success
In true black and gold spirit, we continue to value our history and traditions while always reaching for new possibilities.
- Our marching band, The Pride, is highly respected nationwide and has been performing since 1923.
- We’ve won five Conference USA football championships and three Conference USA baseball championships.
- We are continually recognized for having the highest graduation rate in the state among men’s athletics programs.
- Named a “Green College” for our commitment to sustainability by The Princeton Review.