Dr. Dave Davies

HoCo students snag SGA posts

Jazmyne Butler and Allie Solomon

Jazmyne Butler and Allie Solomon

Great news! Two Honors College students have snagged the top two positions in the Southern Miss Student Government Association.

Jazmyne Butler, a junior broadcast journalism major from Vicksburg, is the newly elected president of SGA. And Allie Solomon, a junior Spanish major from Pittsburgh, Pa., is the vice-president. We’re proud of both of them and look for them to do great things in their respective posts.

Both are very excited. I’ll let them express their excitement and enthusiasm in their own words:

• Jazmyne:  “As the newly-elected SGA President, I am so excited to serve the university and the student body at this capacity.  I have a wonderful team beside me, whose goal is to truly represent the student body and allow them to be more involved in what SGA is doing.  The students are the purpose of SGA, and I will hold those words dear to me throughout my year of service.  I am proud to continue the legacy of those who came before me.    I plan to attend graduate school for mass communications/journalism. “
  • Allie:  “Hello to everyone! My name is Allie Solomon and I have been newly elected as the 2012-2013 Vice President for the Student Government Association at USM. I ran alongside fellow Honors College student Jazmyne Butler as the 2012-2013 SGA President under our campaign creed ‘Bridging the Gap: Service, Accountability, Progress.’ This motto is what we would like to be held accountable in upholding for the next term as representatives for all Golden Eagles. Though the campaign was grueling, it was nothing short of an equally demanding and rewarding experience. The student body elected exceptional representatives for all the remaining respective executive offices. …  I feel incredibly privileged to have the opportunity to serve as the new Vice President for SGA, and I am anxious to work with all the new Senators!”

Congratulations, Jazmyne and Allie!

Dr. Dave Davies
Dr. Dave Davies