Dr. Dave Davies

Faces of HoCo: Brittany Poelma

Today’s “Faces of HoCo” featured student is senior Brittany Poelma, a senior psychology student from Biloxi, whose plans for next semester are so exciting I asked her to write a summary for you:

In the spring of my freshman year, I took part in an Honors active learning trip that brought us to Dolphins Plus in Key Largo, Florida. At the time, I was pursuing a dance major with the hopes of going into dance/movement therapy. However, when the trainers would ask if any of us wanted to work with marine mammals I kept finding myself wanting to say “I do!” That trip awakened in me a desire to go into marine mammal care and training. It was not until my junior year that I switched into the psychology program after immersing myself in the world of marine mammals to make sure I wasn’t just in love with the glamorous side of working with dolphins. Pursuing what I felt was the career meant for me was a giant change that I was able to make with Dr. Stan Kuczaj, my Honors adviser and teacher for that original active learning trip. Last March, I spent my spring break in Honduras where I was able to work with the dolphins that I am currently writing about in my Honors thesis. For my final semester of college, I will be returning to Dolphins Plus as a Marine Mammal Care and Training intern to begin my professional journey. While there, I will be learning basic care skills related to dolphins and sea lions and will learn the foundation of animal training. I can honestly say that I would not be where I am today without the Honors College.

Wow, Brittany. The Honors College does its best to give students many opportunities, but it’s to your credit that you took them to their full advantage to fulfill your dreams.

Dr. Dave Davies
Dr. Dave Davies