Dr. Dave Davies

Presentation time

The Honor House is buzzing this week with end-of-the-semester activity. Students are in and out of the office on their way to the library, to work on projects, and to meet professors. And this seems to be the week when all across campus Honors students are making presentations in class that sum up a semester’s worth of work.

This morning I happened by our honors conference room, where students were assembling for the start of Dr. Tammy Barry’s HON301 class. In 301 our students prepare a detailed research proposal — also called a prospectus — that outlines the work they plan to do on their Senior Thesis. The thesis is a two-semester research project in the students’ major that both sharpens knowledge in their discipline and also hones their skills in research and writing, giving students practice in the very skills they’ll need to succeed in graduate school on down the line.

To give you a sense of the kinds of research our students are doing, I convinced one student — junior Mohamed Ismail — to give me a brief overview of his project. I thought I was putting him on the spot; instead, he thanked me for giving him practice at summarizing his research! You’ve got to love the HoCo kids…

Dr. Dave Davies
Dr. Dave Davies