Ann Blackwell

People Who Inspire

This week I spent time reflecting on the many opportunities afforded to me as an educator to be motivated and inspired by others.  It really is quite amazing.  I have the privilege of regularly interacting with people who care deeply about the welfare of Mississippians and who choose to invest their time, energy, and expertise in work that yields a positive difference in the lives of our citizens.  They are fueled by a level of commitment that accepts nothing less than work of the highest quality and work that produces a significant impact.  We have many such people in the College of Education and Psychology at Southern Miss and throughout the state of Mississippi.  They regularly motivate and inspire me by the work they do.

My reflection was actually prompted by three individuals who made a tremendous impression on me and our Southern Miss teacher interns at a Professional Development Seminar this past Monday.  Anne Travis, CEO, The Bower Foundation; Scott Clements, Director, MDE Office of Healthy Schools; and Larry “Coach” Calhoun, fitness instructor, Clinton Public School District; presented Move to Learn to a packed audience in a fast-paced, engaging, and informational manner.  To say that these individuals entertained and inspired those in attendance is an understatement.  They quickly won the audience over with fitness activities that elicited smiles and laughter combined with convincing facts that highlighted the impact of fitness on education.  Their message and unique delivery provoked a genuine response.

The impact of these three individuals through Move to Learn and in two short years is remarkable.   What is their secret?  They care deeply about the welfare of Mississippians.  They choose to invest their time, energy, and expertise in work that yields a positive difference in the lives of others.  They are fueled by a level of commitment that accepts nothing less than work of the highest quality and work that produces a significant impact.  I find it most inspiring.

For more information on Move to Learn and its resources for educators, please visit www.movetolearnms.org.

Ann Blackwell
Ann Blackwell
Dr. Ann P. Blackwell serves as dean of the College of Education and Psychology at The University of Southern Mississippi.