Student Leadership Circle
What is Student Leadership Circle? Student Leadership Circle is a distinguished program developed for motivated and conscientious students from across the College of Arts and Letters who are committed to self-improvement and betterment of the community. This year-long initiative is designed to educate and motivate students to become leaders in their community after graduation.
Why should I apply to Student Leadership Circle? SLC will provide you with:
- Opportunities to develop and build leadership skills and learn to work with other leadership styles different from your own
- Opportunities to gain unique insight about the University and the local community
- Diverse educational experiences that reach beyond the classroom
- A sense of camaraderie among a group of diverse individuals from across the college who share your commitment and determination to better yourself and the world around you
- Opportunities for networking with professionals in various careers
- Transferrable skills that will enhance your marketability
- Attend educational sessions
- Develop and execute 2 community projects per academic year
- Represent the College with honor and integrity
- Develop their own rules and guidelines for the program that following classes will observe
- Applicants must be an A&L undergraduate student and in good academic standing.
- Applicants must have completed 2 semesters.
- Applicants must be registered for fall classes by their interview date.
- Two (2) completed reference forms are required for consideration. References must be from the USM campus and be faculty or staff.
- An interview is required. Students will be contacted by e-mail prior to the semester beginning.
Leader Work Requirements:
- Must accept rotated assignments to attend Preview Days and Information Fairs and give department tours for the department you are associated with. Work assignments are on an “on-call” basis. Leaders are also expected to work at major audition days, if offered in your department. (SLC is not a regular weekly job. Assignment load varies from week to week.)
- Must attend weekly meetings.
- A&L Leaders shall abide by the Student Code of Conduct and applicable rules/policies of the University of Southern Mississippi. The Dean retains the right to revoke membership of any Leader for just cause.
- Must attend the organizational training meeting in August/September; there are no leader meetings during these months.
- Fall/spring combined memberships are preferred. Leaders have to be on campus for the entire fall and spring semester, starting the first day of classes and ending the last day of finals. Leaders do not work on student holidays, breaks or during the summer. Fall only and spring only memberships are also available.
- Preference is given to applicants who can accommodate Leader work requirements listed above.