Tailgating & Regulations
In an effort to assure fan safety, the Southern Miss Department of Athletics has increased its security staff for home football games and has come up with the following measures that will be implemented at home games. The Department of Athletics thanks everyone for his/her understanding of and cooperation with its efforts to give the fans utmost security and comfort.
Fans are encouraged to arrive at the stadium gates early.
- Gates will open 90 minutes prior to kickoff.
- Prohibited items: Umbrellas, food/drink containers, bottles, cans, thermoses, ice chests, any artificial noisemakers, back packs, carry bags, video cameras/cases, flag poles, or any other items deemed hazardous by game management personnel
- Fans are instructed not to bring bags (purses, etc., unless absolutely necessary).
- Law enforcement officials may inspect any item at any time.
- Eagle Walk will be closed to vehicular traffic all day on gameday.
- Police on high alert for all cars parked near stadium to ensure they are parked properly and have a parking pass. Unauthorized vehicles will be towed immediately.
- A "no fly zone" has been established over the stadium for 3,000 feet with a 3-mile radius.
Gates at The Rock/M. M. Roberts Stadium (map) open 90 minutes prior to kickoff.
Guests needing to leave the stadium and return must obtain a stamp on their hand from the gate attendant. Both a stamped hand and a valid ticket stub are required for re-entry.
Tailgating at the District
The District (map) at Southern Miss has acted as a gathering place since the founding of the university in 1910. Located in front of the Ogletree Alumni House in the southeast corner of campus, The District is the icon of Southern Miss heritage, traditions and memories--where University spirit and loyalty are most vibrant.
Tailgating in The District is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, with the understanding that all participants will respect the area and their fellow Golden Eagles while visiting.
The University asks that tailgaters also respect construction and landscaping work as part of the campus restoration following the February 2013 tornado. Other restrictions or regulations:
- Automobiles are prohibited from the grassy and tree-lined areas.
- Lawn furniture only, please.
- Grills are permitted. Open fires are prohibited. Please do not discard coals on the grounds.
- Glass containers are prohibited.
- The University alcohol policy remains in effect.
- Place all trash in its proper place.
- The university is not responsible for lost, stolen, or misplaced items.
- The District follows the same rules and understandings of any tailgating environment.
- Tailgating in The District will end by 1 a.m. on any given evening.
- All tents in The District should be identified with the name of the organization or individual sponsoring the tent.
- All tailgating materials should be removed from The District within 24 hours after kickoff. A minimum of $100 will be charged for material pickup.
- The District opens at 1 p.m. the day before a home game.
- No animals are allowed in The District.
- No amplified sound is allowed in The District. A band or DJ will be provided.
- The university student code of conduct remains in effect at all times.
Questions regarding The District should be directed to the Southern Miss Dean of Students Office at 601.266.6028.