International Student Hiring Process
Step 1: Check-In - All Internationals MUST check-In with the office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
- Faculty and Staff (Scholars)- All new hire processing will be handled through ISSS
- Visiting Professors- All new hire processing will be handled through ISSS
- Students Employed BEFORE Arrival- All new hire processes will be handled through ISSS
- Students Not Seeking Employment
- Students Seeking Employment
The following steps are for Students Seeking Employment:
Step 2: On-Campus Determination Card- Students Seeking Employment MUST receive an On-Campus Determination Card from ISSS which should be presented to the Office of Student Employment.
NOTE: To ensure that the international student is legally authorized to work, Student Employment will not assist individuals without a Completed On-Campus Determination Card from ISSS
Step 3: Campus Employment: Student Employment will provide the tools and resources to aid internationals with campus employment.
Step 4: Personnel Action Form (PAF)- The hiring department must submit an On-Campus Employer Statement with ALL international PAFs. An international PAF will NOT be processed without the On-Campus Employer Statement. The On-Campus Employer Statement can be obtained from the following locations: the ISSS Office, or online at the bottom of this page under Forms.
Step 5: Hiring Department’s On-Campus Employer Statement - Student Employment will send a copy of the PAF and the original Statement of Employment to ISSS.
Step 6: Application of Social Security Number- ISSS will assist the international student with applying for a social security number.
Step 7: Application Status of SSN- The Social Security Office will give the individual a signed letter stating that the application for the social security number has been processed.
Step 8: Tax Analysis- The individual should make an appointment with the Tax Compliance Officer to complete their tax analysis.
The following documents will be needed for the appointment:
- Passport, VISA, I-94 Form
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Signed Letter from the Social Security Office Verifying Application Status
- A Voided Check for Direct Deposit
Step 9: Completion of New Hire Forms- the Tax Compliance Officer will assist the international student with their new hire forms.
- Foreign National Information Form
- Form I-9
- MS Employee’s Withholding Exemption Certificate
- Authorization For Automatic Deposit
- Drug Free Workplace Policy
- Form W-8BEN or W-9
- Form W-4
- Form 8233 (if applicable)
Step 10: The New Hire Data Sheet (Gold Form) or The Status Change Sheet (Gold Form) along with the new hire forms stated above in Step 9 (Items 1-8 above) will be sent to either Human Resources or Student Employment.
NOTE: Neither HR nor SE will process a changes to an international employee record without the Status Change Form from the Tax Compliance Officer.
- On-CampusDetermination Card (.docx)
- On-Campus Employer Form (.pdf)
- DSO Authorization for On-Campus Work (.pdf)
- Foreign National Information Form (.doc)
- Form I-9 (.pdf)
- MS Employee’s Withholding Certificate (.pdf)
- Authorization for Automatic Deposit (.pdf)
- Drug Free Workplace Policy (.pdf)
- New Hire Data Sheet (.pdf)
- Status Change Request Form (.pdf)