Aside from choosing a college or university, deciding on a major is the most important decision you will make on your academic journey. Fortunately, the College of Business has a number of options, making your map to the future a little clearer.
Note: The links below are not hosted within the College of Business website and will open in a new window. These links provide an overview of the degree and the Learning Outcomes/Objectives of each.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) Degree Programs
Accounting (BSBA) | Degree Plan
- Prepares students for professional careers in which depth and breadth of business and accounting knowledge are required
- Career opportunities include public accounting, governmental accounting, forensic accounting, tax accounting, and managerial accounting.
- Available on Hattiesburg and Gulf Park campuses
- For more information, visit the School of Accountancy Web site at: www.usm.edu/business/accounting
Business Administration (BSBA) - Entrepreneurship | Degree Plan
- Provides students with the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to develop, market, and manage their own business. At the core of this emphasis is the process of entrepreneurial discovery, evaluation, and exploitation of business opportunities
- Career opportunities include business ownership, small business consulting, leadership and management development programs, sales management, general consulting and supervisory positions.
Business Administration (BSBA) - General Business (also offered fully online) | Degree Plan
The general business emphasis is a broad degree preparing students for careers in a wide range of business settings. This emphasis is appropriate for students who wish to obtain a business degree but who do not wish to specialize in a specific area of emphasis. The general business emphasis also allows students the most flexibility to custom design their program of study.
- Gives students the ability to build their own emphases, with options in accounting, finance, international business, management, and marketing, to name a few.
- Students still take the Business Core, plus 21 hours of 300/400-level business courses in the previously mentioned areas.
- This degree is currently also available fully online.
- Students are given education in theory, tools of analysis and problem-solving techniques fundamental to firms operating in the finance, real estate, and financial service industries. Emphasis choices in finance are banking and finance, personal financial planning, and real estate.
- Career opportunities include banks and other financial institutions, securities firms, property management, and financing.
Healthcare Marketing (BSBA) | Degree Plan
- The program's curriculum challenges its students with courses in biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, sales marketing and planning, product knowledge, account/territory management, business ethics, and company policies/procedures, to name a few.
- Career opportunities include pharmaceutical sales, pharmaceutical marketing, medical device sales, medical supplies sales, and hospital and physician practice marketing.
- Get ready for a successful career in the booming healthcare industry in our elite program with extra benefits funded by a special endowment.
- Prepares students for positions with international business firms operating in the global environment and state and federal agencies involved in facilitating the import-export process.
- In addition to the international business courses in the major, students are expected to participate in one international semester abroad and are required to study a foreign language to enhance sensitivity to foreign culture, language, and international business acumen.
- Management (BSBA) - (Business Administration Management)
- The business administration management emphasis is a broad degree, preparing students for careers in a wide range of business settings. The emphasis is appropriate for students who wish to obtain a business degree but who do not wish to specialize in a specific area of emphasis.
- Management (BSBA) - (Human Resource Management)
- This degree is designed to provide students with the competencies needed to help organizations acquire, develop and retain the people whose efforts are crucial to organizational success. Courses in the human resource management curriculum expose students not only to useful human resource management principles, but also to specific, real-world techniques and practices.
- Management (BSBA) - (Supply Chain Management)
- More information forthcoming...
- Provides students with the background necessary to advance to higher-level marketing management positions and develop executive skills that are critical for success in all business occupations.
- We prepare students to be sales representatives, new product development managers, brand managers, market research specialists, and many other career tracks.
- In the past few years, we have placed students all over the country working for organizations like Pfizer, the New Orleans Saints, Hattiesburg Clinic, Buckle, Wells Fargo, R.J. Young, and Cintas.
- Also available on the Gulf Park Campus.
- Offers students the opportunity to pursue careers in the production, marketing, and merchandising of textile and apparel products.
- Our major is one of fewer than five in the country that is housed within a college of business, and majors graduate with an excellent foundation in business, as well as coursework and hands-on training in many aspects of retailing and merchandising.
- Study tours, internships, fashion shows and service-earning provide students with real-world experience while still in school.
- Career opportunities include merchandise buyer, product design/development, showroom executive, consumer journalist, wholesale account executive, store operating manager, special events planner/coordinator, trend forecaster, and private label coordinator, to name a few...
- Some recent graduates have started their career with Saks, Disney, Buckle, Macy's, and Abercrombie & Fitch.
- Southern Miss was the first university in the state of Mississippi officially designated by the state Institutes of Higher Learning to offer this major, and even today is one of very few with the program. The department was founded in the mid-1960s, and over the years has build a strong reputation as the place to come for a hospitality degree
- Few careers offer the great diversity and lifestyle options of tourism management majors. Graduates are successfully employed in entry-level management positions that have strong career paths at highly competitive salaries.
- The Casino Resort Management major develops decision-making, financial, and strategic management skills appropriate for careers in the casino and resort industries. Students develop an understanding of the stakeholders and industry practices necessary for success in entry-level managerial positions in the gaming industry or other general business sectors.
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree Programs
- This degree is designed to prepare students for careers in the hospitality industry with a focus on service in various countries and cultures. This degree plan focuses on the service side of the hospitality industry while the Tourism BSBA degree plans focus on the business side of the industry.
- Graduates with the hospitality degree are employed in entry-level management positions in one of the largest and fastest-growing industries in the world. Students develop skills applied specifically to the various tourism operating environments and applicable across all service based industries.
- To meet the increasing demand for specifically educated professional sales personnel, the Department of Marketing and Fashion Merchandising at The University of Southern Mississippi offers an Undergraduate Certificate in Professional Selling.
Earn your Casino Management Certificate and cash out with an advancement in your career! This online certificate program is designed for business/non-major students interested in careers in casino resort management, gaming professionals seeking professional development opportunities, and hospitality and tourism professionals.
This convenient and affordable program allows working professionals to continue their education while managing their personal life. Our graduates learn to design and develop interventions that will positively impact workplace learning and performance. Let Online at Southern Miss help you achieve your educational goals from anywhere, at anytime. Your life, plus college.