The Magnolia Award
A Children's Choice Award for the State of Mississippi
Mission: To introduce the children of Mississippi to current children's literature and instill a love of reading.
Children in grades K-8 who are students in Mississippi are eligible to participate. They will read the books and turn their votes in to their teacher, librarian, or other adult at an authorized voting site, who will then cast the votes electronically. Voting will be held in February, with winners announced at the Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival.
Be sure to like our facebook page and share with us the creative ways that your kids are voting!
- The 2010 Magnolia Award: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
- The 2011 Magnolia Award: Knucklehead by Jon Scieszka
- The 2012 Magnolia Award: 43 Cemetery Road: Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise, Illustrated by Sara Klise
- The 2013 Magnolia Awards:
- Grades K-2 – Hot Rod Hamster by Cynthia Lord
- Grades 3-5 – Charlie Joe Jackson’s Guide to NOT Reading – Tommy Greenwald
- Grades 6-8 – Countdown – by Deborah Wiles
The Magnolia Award is a partnership of:
The Mississippi Children's Museum, The Mississippi Department of Education, The Mississippi Library Association, The Mississippi Library Commission, and the following divisions of the University of Southern Mississippi:
The School of Library and Information Science Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival
The School Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education
and The deGrummond Children's Literature Collection