Eta Sigma Gamma Honorary Society
Eta Sigma Gamma
Alpha Iota Chapter
The University of Southern Mississippi
Eta Sigma Gamma (ESG) is a national professional honorary organization for students in Health Sciences whose primary purpose is to advance professional competencies in all areas of health. The national organization emphasizes the evaluation of standards, ideas, competence and ethics of professionally trained men and women in the Health Sciences.
The ESG Alpha Iota Chapter was established at The University of Southern Mississippi in 1977 to recognize academic excellence in health sciences, health education, health promotion, and public health. In the tradition of Greek usage, the letters Eta, Sigma and Gamma were chosen to represent the Greek equivalent of the letters H, S and C, the abbreviation for the term “Health Sciences”.
The Mission of Eta Sigma Gamma
The mission of the honorary is promotion of the discipline by elevating the standards, ideals, competence and ethics of professional prepared men and women in the health sciences.
The Goals of Eta Sigma Gamma
- Supporting the planning, implementation and evaluation of health education programs and resources;
- Stimulating and disseminating scientific research;
- Motivating and providing health education services;
- Recognizing academic achievements of our members;
- Supporting health education advocacy initiatives;
- Promoting professional standards and ethics; and
- Promoting networking activities among health educators and other public health / health sciences professionals.
Benefits to ESG members
Each member, upon initiation, receives a certificate of membership and the official jewelry of the honorary. In addition, membership includes a subscription to The Health Educator and The Eta Sigma Gamma Monograph. This affords an excellent vehicle for sharing your ideas about the profession.
ESG members also have numerous opportunities for educational and professional advancement through the workshops, professional presentations, community service activities and networking opportunities provided each semester.
Application Requirements and Criteria
- Must be a health major (this includes students who are currently enrolled in any undergraduate or graduate program in the Department of Public Health at The University of Southern Mississippi);
- Successfully completed at least 12 credit hours of Community Health Sciences courses; and
- Have a major G.P.A. of 2.75 or higher.
Interested applicants should contact the Department of Public Health for application information.