- We were ranked in the top 20 of the 73 counseling psychology programs for research productivity in the top counseling psychology journals over a ten year period by The Counseling Psychologist.
- Graduates of our doctoral program were recently ranked in the top 20 by scores on the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) over a nine year period.
- Students complete a broad and comprehensive sequence of coursework in biological, cognitive, social and physiological bases of behavior, psychological assessment and evidence-based intervention approaches, research methodology and statistics, as well as coursework in areas relevant to counseling psychology, including multicultural and vocational psychology. Specialized electives are available in substance abuse and child and family interventions. Students are enrolled full time on the Hattiesburg campus; there are not opportunities for part-time study or online coursework.
Comprehensive Clinical Training
- Our in-house clinic offers close faculty supervision and contact with a diverse mix of college student and community clients.
- Specialty training is available in anger management, career counseling, motivational interviewing, and parenting skills.
- Our strong connections with the community also provide students with diverse training experiences at inpatient and outpatient mental health facilities.
- Over the past 15 years, approximately 90% of our doctoral students have obtained APA-accredited internships on the first application, with the majority securing their 1st or 2nd choice of placement.
- The program fosters an atmosphere of collaboration and collegiality. Far from competing with each other, our students support each other and form close bonds.
- Our doctoral students receive coursework and practicum experience in clinical supervision and have the opportunity to teach undergraduate psychology courses.
- Our students are actively involved in research teams and professional organizations such as the American Psychological Association (APA), Society of Counseling Psychology (Div. 17), Mississippi Psychological Association (MPA).