Giving Individuals with disabilities Volunteer Experience
|This is an archived program and therefore, may not contain current information.|
GIVE (Giving Individuals with disabilities Volunteer
Experience) Back is a national service inclusion project award through the Institute for Community Inclusion, University of Massachusetts Boston, in collaboration with the Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD). Project GIVE Back will focus on two priority areas of improving recruitment efforts targeting people with disabilities in Mississippi to boost overall enrollment in national service and outreach/engagement in economically distressed areas.
To meet these priority areas, the Institute for Disability Studies is partnering with the Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service (MCVS), Mississippi Inclusion TEAM members, Living Independence for Everyone (LIFE), AmeriCorps alumni members, and the Mississippi Parent Training and Information Center (MSPTI). Representatives will comprise the GIVE Back Steering Committee to assist and advise the GIVE Back project.
Through training and technical assistance, the GIVE Back project will
- Develop training materials for AmeriCorps alumni representatives.
- Select AmeriCorps alumni members for the north, central and south Mississippi targeted areas.
- Select a total of 27 secondary and postsecondary schools, colleges and universities throughout the state for targeted national service recruitment and outreach activities that emphasize inclusive community service options.
- Increase the number of AmeriCorps members with disabilities with emphasis placed on economically distressed areas in Mississippi.
Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Services
The mission of the Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service is to engage and support Mississippians of all ages and backgrounds in service to their communities.
MCVS coordinates Learn & Serve America programs with the Mississippi Department of Education and coordinates VISTA and National Senior Service Corps programs with the Mississippi Office of the Corporation for National Service. MCVS is responsible for selected Learn & Serve America programs and for most AmeriCorps programs in the state. Disability inclusion information is available for all national service programs.
National Service Inclusion Project (NSIP)
The National Service Inclusion Project (NSIP), a Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS) training and technical assistance provider, provides training and technical assistance on the inclusion of individuals with disabilities as active participants in national service programs. A variety of training and resource information is available including:
- Monthly Web-based conference or teleconference
- Etiquette Fact sheets and Effective Practices
- Inclusion Advice to Service Programs
- State Disability Coordinator Contacts
- Story Collection on Benefit of Members with Disabilities Serving in National Service
- Creating an Inclusive Environment: A Handbook for the Inclusion of People with Disabilities in National and Community Service Programs
- Email Disability Discussion Lists
Project GIVE Back
Institute for Disability Studies
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive #5163
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
Toll Free (TTY): 1.888.671.0051
Royal P. Walker, Jr. JD
601.432.6261 or toll free 1.866.883.4474
Dr. Jerry R. Alliston, LMSW, CCM