HowTo - New Employee
IDS New Employee Info
If you have an idea of something that needs to be on this page, please let me know. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Obtain appointment with HR for in-processing. They will give you your employee ID called an "EmplID." It will be a W with a six digit number such as W123456. It may take a day or so for your accounts to be registered in the system. Once they are registered, your SOAR account (Employee and Student access to the University) and email will be ready to use.
- See Rich Baker, 6-6288, room 441 about getting a computer, establishing your email account, and getting an office phone.
- See Billy Tala, 6-5739, room 439 about pay issues and establishing a long distance charge code.
Supplies and Equipment:
- If you need typical office supplies, check with the front office to see if we have it in stock.
- To order supplies, download and fill out this form, and route through the director of your program. The signed form will go to Billy, then back to you or a designee to actually order the supplies.
- To order electronic equipment, tell Rich what the requirements are and let him do the research. Once the equipment is selected, Rich will coordinate with your director and Billy to see if we can order the item for you.
- What is it? SOAR is a portal for employees of USM used to do many functions. The most important function for you right now is probably your "Time and Attendance" reporting and your pay. Once you have your "W######" EmplID (pronounced "imp el eye dee" and password, you will be able to access the system.
- USM provides Symantec Antivirus and MS Office for FREE on a personal home computer to faculty and staff. See http://www.usm.edu/itech/software-downloads-and-purchases for a list of all software available. You will need to log in using your SOAR creditials.
- Please do not install or use iTunes, Quicktime, or AOL on your USM owned computer.
- Avoid accepting the popular search bars for browsers. All of these items take up space on your screen, will cause your computer to run slower, and attract malware.
- For Hattiesburg staff, see Billy to order your office key. Your key will open your office door, the mailroom door, and both hallway doors including the stairwell door by the elevator (never locked), and the stairwell door at the west end of the hall.
- For Jackson staff, see Gloria Wesley.
- For TLC staff, see Ashley Nicole Flowers.
- To obtain access to Hattiesburg, Bond Hall via the southwest corner stairwell, send an email to Residence Life email@example.com. Include your EmplID (w######), your name, and that you'll need access for IDS.
- Caution, if you will be working after 5:00 PM, carry your keys with you. The doors at each hallway entrance are locked. Take your keys with you.
- IDS a shared Google Calendar found at http://calendar.google.com.
- Username: usmids
- Password: (see Rich Baker)
- Use the calendar to reserve presentation equipment, show project activities, reserve IDS Library, and announce your personal vacation times. Please see the Rich on how to use the calendar properly.
- Please use the forms and procedures found on USM's travel site at http://www.usm.edu/procurement/travel.html. Download the appropriate form to your hard drive, fill it out, save it, then print it out. Place a signed copy into Billy's mail box.
- To make new publications such as brochures in Hattiesburg, see Alma Ellis in Jackson.
- To request a display board, post the request on the Equipment calendar on the IDS Calendar (see above) and send an email to Alma Ellis firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Dr. Mina Li about NIRS data training and inputs in Bond Room 437.
- Student workers are typically available to assist with copying, filing, etc. Please check with the front office for availability.
USM Talk is a listserv for employees of USM where you can voice concerns or even post personal items for sale. To subscribe or unsubscribe visit https://mailman.usm.edu/mailman/listinfo/usmtalk.
- The program coordinator is responsible to obtain photo/video documentation of your program. We have cameras available for you to check out from our Tech Support Rich Baker. To do so you'll need permission from your Program Director.
- Fill out the photo/video request. You will receive an email letting you know if the request is granted.
- Obtain the camera from Rich in Bond 441, or schedule with him to come and do the photo and or video.
- The media will be kept by Tech Support in a media library.
- If you need your telephone or network connection moved, let IDS Tech Coordinator, Rich Baker 6-6288 know. He will need your room number, number on the phone, and network recepticals you need moved from and to.
- We are now installing MS Outlook 2010 or 2013. It may ask you for a user name and password; use the following format for your user name: usm\w###### (where your EmplID is the ######).
- You can access your paycheck and other personnel items via https://soar.usm.edu.
- To access your email while away from your computer or even the campus, you can access your email on any computer on the web at http://golden.usm.edu.