Teacher Education at Southern Miss
Admission Requirements for Teacher Education
Before applying for admission to a professional education program at The University of Southern Mississippi, please check to see that you meet the following requirements:
- an ACT composite score of 21 or higher, with no scale score below 18; or an SAT of 860 (verbal plus quantitative); or acceptable scores on the Praxis I subscales computerized Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST): Reading (170), Writing (172), and Mathematics (169); or acceptable scores on the Praxis I Computer-Based Testing (CBT): Reading (316), Writing (318), and Mathematics (314);
- a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on the 44 semester-hour general education curriculum;
- a grade of “C” or better in freshman English composition;
- successful completion of the Basic Technology Literacy Exam (BTLE) or the Internet and Computing Core Certification (IC³®)
- good academic standing at Southern Miss. A student on probation, probation continued, or suspension status cannot be admitted to teacher education until the transcript reflects good academic standing;
- a clear background check via the system selected by the Southern Miss Professional Education Council.
For more information on teacher education at Southern Miss, please contact Marjorie Newsome at firstname.lastname@example.org or 601-266-6095.