Welcome to the Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education (CISE) where you will pursue your dream of becoming a future educator. Your goal of achieving this dream will be a journey but along the way you will seek and need help of professors and advisors to ensure your success. In addition, because I know how overwhelming it is for you to make adjustments to this new world of academia and a new program, I have put together for your benefit information to help you chart your own academic and personal goals.
It is my intent that you will find answers to many of your questions and simply be able to acquire knowledge about your program plan. Having this knowledge is a major part to your success in becoming equipped and empowered at USM. It is my hope that this page provides you a sense of ease and confidence as you pursue your educational endeavors at Southern Mississippi.
I look forward to assisting you, encouraging you, and supporting you in your quest. Congratulations on taking this step to pursue a higher education degree and much admiration to you for choosing an awesome field to pursue.
If you need any kind of help, contact me at:
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education (CISE)
J.B. George Bldg Rm 143B
Refer to the following links for the questions you may have for advising:
- Professional and faculty advisors roles in advising
- Students role in advising process
- Student academic advising learning outcomes
- Preparing for your advising visit
- k-6 with one endorsement program
- Special Education
- Dual licensed program (k-6 and special education)
- The program core classes and GPA requirement
- Core GPA worksheet
- Endorsements (2-page PDF)
- PRAXIS I (3-page PDF)
- Basic Technology Literacy Examination (BTLE)
- Gold Card
- Getting your teacher license
- Campus resources
- Scholarship information