Instructional Technology MS

Frequently Asked Questions


Q:  What steps do I take to get enrolled in the Instructional Technology Master’s program?

A:  Admission to the graduate degree programs in the Department of Technology will be conducted in accordance with college and university policies. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements and Procedures" section of the current USM’s Graduate Bulletin. In general, these procedures include the submission of an application form and credentials to Graduate Studies. An application fee of $30.00 is required, whether in-state or out-of-state or in-resident for each application you submit. If this fee is not paid, your application file remains active for a limited time until receipt of proper payment.

Additionally, applicants must send all degree application materials online through the Graduate School's Admissions Pro system:

  1. A letter of intent with application explaining the applicant's interest in and reasons for pursuing the degree.
  2. Three letters of recommendation. Academic professionals and/or supervisors who can clearly articulate and address the applicant’s abilities to complete graduate work should complete letters.
  3. A resume of academic and job-related experiences.
  4. A copy of current teaching licenses/certificates [if applies]
  5. A portfolio of related technology projects or Web address. Please send this to Denise Crozier at .

The Program Admissions Committee will review all completed applications and recommend appropriate actions. Admission to the Master of Science in Instructional Technology is contingent upon a positive recommendation of the Program’s Admissions Committee and the approval of the Department Chair, the Dean of the College of Education and Psychology, and the Dean of the Graduate School.

Address for the Graduate Secretary is as follows:

Denise Crozier, Graduate Secretary
The University of Southern Mississippi
Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education
118 College Drive, #5057
Hattiesburg, MS  39406-001

Q:  How do I know my advisor?

A:  Upon admission you are assigned a graduate advisor. The advisor will help you with completing and establishing your plan of study, selecting and preparing your graduation requirements, and answering and discussing other programmatic questions.

Q:  What is conditional admission and how do I become a regular admission student?

A:  Conditional admission is given to the students who do not satisfy the admission requirements. If you are admitted conditionally, you should review your conditions of admittance with your advisor during your program plan of study meeting. In addition, you are responsible for informing your advisor when all conditions of your conditional admittance have been met. Your advisor, through the Department Chair, will send a memo to the Graduate Dean requesting your admission status be changed to regular admission. This change can be done provided that you have obtained a "B" or better in the first 9 semester hours of program coursework and/or completed any additional prerequisite requirements.

Tuition & Fees

Q:  What is the cost per credit?

A:  Follow this link and choose the academic year that applies.

Q:  Does the standard tuition apply for part-time students?

A:  Follow this link and choose the year that applies to view the costs associated with part-time enrollment.

Q:  Will I have to pay a non-resident tuition fee for online classes?

A: At this time, you should NOT be charged out-of-state fees because on-line classes are considered in-residence.

Q:  What is the deadline for paying tuition and fees?

A:  Click here for deadlines.

Degree/Career Planning

Q:  Are all courses available online?

A:  The majority of IT courses are online. Some courses offered are hybrid or traditional classes.

Q:  Will I have to wait a semester for a core course to be offered?

A:  Yes, most IT core courses are offered once a year.

Advisement/Enrolling in Classes

Q:  What is the deadline for registering for classes?

A:  Follow this link and choose the term that applies.

Q:  What is the minimum number of classes that I can take to be considered full-time?

A:  You must enroll in at least 12 credit hours in order to have full-time status in the spring and fall semesters and at least 9 credit hours in order to have full-time status in the summer semester.

Q:  Does enrollment in the online program follow the standard academic calendar?

A:  Yes, you will start and end classes on the same date as the traditional students based on the registrar’s calendar.

Q:  What is the time limit to finish the program?

A:  All graduate students must complete their degrees within 5 years from date of admission.

Q:  May I take courses before admitted to the program?

A:  Yes, you may take courses as a non-degree graduate student. The Graduate School allows a Master’s degree student to apply up to 9 recent graduate hours as a non-degree USM student with advisor approval; in addition, he/she must gain admission to the program prior to the completion of the 9 hours. Under no circumstances will a student be allowed to exceed 9 hours in a semester as a non-degree student. A student may utilize courses taken in another graduate program at USM, with an advisor's approval, for electives in the Instructional or Business Technology Emphases. A single course may only be applied for one degree.

Q:  May I transfer credit from other universities?

A:  Yes, a student may transfer up to 6 hours from another accredited university. The advisor and the Department Chair must approve these courses.

Q:  What are Special Problems courses?

A:  Special Problems or arranged courses (IT 692, IT 792, etc.) are by a Master's degree student who wishes to investigate in-depth some topic not covered in regular course work. In such courses, a student must do the following:  (1) gain permission from the instructor before enrolling; (2) propose to the instructor a detailed plan of work in the form of a learning contract; and (3) document at least 75 hours of work devoted exclusively to that course in a time log to be submitted with the other completed course materials such as portfolio. Capstone projects or thesis are not considered for the major part of the Special Problems.

Q:  How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

A:  Students, who wish to apply for a graduate assistantship, must send a separate letter requesting consideration directly to Dr. David Daves, Chair; Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education; 118 College Drive #5057; Hattiesburg, MS  39406-001. His email address is .

Untitled Document