Construction Engineering Technology

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What steps do I take to get enrolled in the Construction Engineering Technology program?

A: The following link will provide information for the steps you’ll need to complete in order to be admitted to Southern Miss.

Q: Does the process to apply for admission and register for classes for online students differ from campus students?

A: As an online student, you may complete an online application to Southern Miss and do not have to make an in-person visit to the campus. The online student academic advisor for the School of Construction will advise you via e-mail, fax, or phone. Once you’ve been advised and cleared to register for classes, you may add classes via SOAR.

Tuition & Fees

Q: What is the cost per credit?

A: Follow this link and choose the term that applies.

Q: Does the standard tuition apply for part-time students?

A: Follow this link and choose the term that applies to view the costs associated with part-time enrollment.

Q: Will I have to pay a non-resident tuition fee for online classes?

A: You should NOT be charged out-of-state fees because the on-line classes are considered in-residence.

Q: What is the deadline for paying tuition and fees?

A: Click here for deadlines.

Degree/Career Planning

Q: What is a 2+2 curriculum?

A: It is an agreement that certain community or junior college courses are accepted into a Southern Miss degree program.

Q: How do I get advised if I am an online student?

A: Contact the School of Construction on-line student academic advisor, Doris A. Kemp, at doris.kemp@usm.edu or 601.266.5673. In your correspondence please include your USM student ID# and the semester for which you are seeking advisement as well as the number of classes or credit hours you want to take.

Q: Are there times when I may have to wait a semester for a core classes to be offered?

A: You may not be able to enroll in classes if you do not have the necessary pre-requisite(s), all sections of the class are full, or the class is not offered that semester.

Q: How do I know if my credits from another school will count towards my degree?

A: An online academic advisor from the School of Construction can perform an Unofficial Transfer Evaluation if you email (doris.kemp@usm.edu) or fax (601.266.5717) a copy of all college-level courses completed at other institutions. However, the evaluation is only an estimate of possible transfer of classes and only the official Southern Miss transcript reflects the courses that the university accepts.

Q: Are there any job placement programs available that could help me start my career after earning my degree?

A: Yes, the university has a career services program that assists students in finding jobs post graduation. Click here to get more information.

Advisement/Enrolling in Classes

Q: How do I get my SOAR (Southern’s Online Accessible Records) account flagged?

A: All students in the School of Construction must be advised prior to enrolling in classes for the next semester. Please contact the online Construction Engineering Technology major academic advisor, Doris A. Kemp, at doris.kemp@usm.edu or 601.266.5673. Once you have been advised, a staff member in the School of Construction will clear you (flag your account). This step allows you to access SOAR and add your classes.

Q: What is the deadline for registering for classes?

A: Follow this link and choose the term that applies.

Q: What is the minimum number of classes that I can take to be considered full time?

A: You must enroll in at least 12 credit hours in order to have full-time status in the spring and fall semesters and at least 9 credit hours in order to have full-time status in the summer semester.

Q: Does enrollment in the online program follow the standard academic calendar?

A: Yes, you’ll start and end classes on the same date as the in-person students do.

Learning Online

Q: Can the degree in Construction Engineering Technology be earned completely online?

A: Yes, the major (construction specific) courses required for the degree are offered in an on-line format. The construction program has an alliance with Mississippi Virtual Community College (MSVCC) that offers additional on-line core courses (English, History, Psychology, etc.).

Q: After I complete a semester at Southern Miss can I take classes at a different college?

A: Once you’ve transferred to Southern Miss, you can complete a “Permission to Transfer Credit” form prior to taking a class offered at another institution if you want to use the class to satisfy the requirements of the Construction Engineering Technology degree at Southern Miss. Completing this form ensures that the course you take somewhere else will be an acceptable substitute for the Southern Miss class. A few rules must be noted related to this process:

  • The last 32 credit hours of the degree must be completed at Southern Miss.
  • 45 credit hours of the total degree hours must be 300-400 level (junior or senior).
  • 50% (or 62 credit hours—2008-09 bulletin requires 124 total hours) must be from a senior university.

Q: Will there be any courses that have face-to-face requirements?

A: No, you will not be required to conduct face-to-face meetings. However, in an on-line course an instructor may also require synchronous meetings (often in the form of chats or web cam real-time meetings).

Q: If the Construction Engineering Technology degree can be earned online, how are labs conducted?

A: The instructor of the course determines how he/she sets up the labs. You may be asked to perform job site visits and observations or a course lab may involve the use of simulation or Virtual Reality to learn concepts and perform lab assignments.

Q: Are the exams required to be proctored?

A: It is up to the instructor of a course if exams require a proctor. You should always read the content in the syllabus and on-line course site to determine if a proctor is needed. There is an application that must be completed at least 15 days prior to taking an exam. For information about proctoring click here.

Untitled Document