For a detailed listing of all degree requirements, please refer to this document.
The library and information science (LIS) major requires completion of the general education core courses as well as 39 hours of major-area courses, 15-21 hours of major requirements outside the department (including 12 hours of foreign language), an 18-hour minor or dual major in another department and enough electives to bring the total number of hours to 124.
Major-area courses begin in the junior year. Of the 124 total required hours, at least 50 percent must be completed at a four-year institution and the last quarter must be completed at USM.
- LIS 201 - INTRODUCTION TO INFORMATION LITERACY
- LIS 401 - REFERENCE AND INFORMATION SERVICES
- LIS 417 - LITERATURE AND RELATED MEDIA FOR CHILDREN or
- LIS 418 - LITERATURE AND RELATED MEDIA FOR YOUNG ADULTS
- 3 additional LIS electives for a total of 18 hours