Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I enroll in the RN-BSN program?
- The RN-BSN Program provides you with opportunities to-
- Improve your nursing practice as a BSN nurse
- Climb the career ladder at your health care agency
- Pursue advanced degrees in nursing, i.e., MSN, DNP, PhD
- Become a Nurse Practitioner, a Nurse Executive, a Nursing Faculty Member
Will I receive credit for the Nursing course work I've completed through the Associate Degree in Nursing?
- Yes. At Southern Miss, 34 credits (called 'validation credits') are given to RN-BSN students as a way of respecting the previous nursing course work already taken in your associate degree in nursing (A.D.N). You will register for these validation credits after the first semester in the RN-BSN Program.
When can I start the RN-BSN Program?
- Spring Semester (Application Deadline: September 1).
- Summer Semester (Application Deadline: February 1)
- Fall Semester (Application Deadline: February 1)
What are the differences between the RN-BSN and the RN-MSN programs?
- In the RN-BSN Program, you will earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree upon successful completion of 9 courses across 3 semesters.
- In the RN-MSN Program, you will earn a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree but not a BSN. You will take 4 courses in the RN-BSN Program, register for validation courses and the rest of your courses will be taken in the MSN Program.
Are there prerequisite courses for the RN-BSN and RN-MSN Programs?
Do all prerequisites have to be completed before being admitted into the program?
- Yes. All prerequisites must be completed before starting the program. However, at the time of application, only three of the four natural sciences must be completed.
Am I required to work as a nurse before being admitted into the program?
Is there a time limit on the age of my prerequiste courses?
- No. As long as the prerequiste courses were completed with a "C" or better, those courses will transfer.
Are scholarships available for the RN-BSN Program?
- Scholarships and financial aid are available: The Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) and the School of Nursing award several scholarships each year to students in the RN-BSN Program. A full range of financial assistance is available through the Southern Miss Office of Financial Aid. For more information about the Nursing Education Loan/Scholarship for RN to BSN (NELR) go to http://riseupms.com/state-aid/nelr . The deadline dates for this scholarship application are January 1 – March 31
For more information contact Student Services at 601-266-5454. Prospective students may call or email Angela Coats at firstname.lastname@example.org. No face-to-face meeting is required.