1. Who may apply for ELI enrollment?
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Non-resident applicants must apply for an F-1 visa. Individuals who come to the United States on B-1/B-2 visas may not study.
- Students already in the United States who have F-1 visas and are studying in another intensive English program may apply for Transfer to the ELI.
- Legal Permanent Residents in the United States are welcome to apply for enrollment.
ELI has five 8-week terms each year. New students are welcome at the beginning of each term.
|Fall-1||August 22 - October 14, 2016|
|Fall-2||October 24 - December 16, 2016|
|Spring-1||January 19 - March 11, 2016|
|Spring-2||March 21 - May 13, 2016|
|Summer||May 31 - July 22, 2016|
We estimate the cost of living in Hattiesburg and studying at the ELI for one 8-week term to be approximately $5,500.00. This does not include travel to and from Hattiesburg, the fees associated with your F-1 visa application, or personal/incidental expenses during the ELI term.
|$50.00||ELI Application Fee, nonrefunable, payable at the time of application|
|$80.00||Chest x-ray, administered at Southern Miss Clinic during Registration of your first term of enrollment; mandated by state law|
MMR injections (2 @ 70.00), administered at Southern Miss Clinic during your first term of enrollment; mandated by state law.
This requirement can be waived if you submit documentation verifying 2 MMRs since your first birthday.
Fees for each 8-week term
|$175.00||Textbooks (estimated cost at campus Barnes & Noble Bookstore)|
|$400.00||Health Insurance Estimate|
|$75.00||Residence Life Processing Fee, nonrefundable, charged each semester to dormitory residents|
|$800.00||Unlimited. Meal plan, required of all dormitory residents|
|$10.00||Campus Post Office box rental, required of all dormitory residents|
Note: Costs are subject to change without notice.
4. How can I apply?
- Download and print the ELI application form. Complete and sign the form.
- The person responsible for payment must also sign the Financial Support Statement on the Application and send a bank verification form showing the availability of at least $11,000 US (or the equivalent in your home country’s currency).
- If you want to live in a campus dormitory, print out and complete the Residence Life Application form.
- In addition to your application documents, send payment for the following:
- $50 ELI Application Fee (non-refundable)
- $100 ELI Fee Deposit (will be applied to your charges for your first term in ELI)
- $75 Residence Life Processing Fee (non-refundable; include this fee only if you are applying for a dormitory room assignment)
- All fees may be paid by one money order or one cashier’s check or by credit card. The Credit Card Payment Form is available here.
- Send a photocopy of your passport photo page.
- Send your complete application package to the ELI by regular mail, express mail, fax, or by email.
5. When your application package is received by the ELI....
When your application package is received by the ELI, we will send an I-20 and instructions to help you apply for an F-1 visa at an American Consulate in your home country. Do not make travel plans until your visa application has been approved.
6. Can I transfer to the ELI from another intensive English program in the United States?
Yes, you can. Download and print out the Transfer to the ELI Form. Complete the top portion and then take it to your immigration advisor at your current school. Your advisor must complete the bottom portion of the form and return it to the ELI.
You should also complete the ELI Application Form and other requirements listed above (“How can I apply?”). We will communicate with you to coordinate your transfer from your current school to the ELI.
7. Financial aid
The English Language Institute is a self-supporting auxiliary department, and as such we do not offer scholarships or other financial aid. Here are links to online resources which offer recommendations on financing your U.S. studies: