Where is Hattiesburg?
Hattiesburg, a safe, friendly Southern city of almost 50,000 people, is located in South-Central Mississippi on Highway 49 and on Interstate Highway 59. The city’s nickname is “The Hub City” because it is surrounded by several cities in the surrounding region:
- Jackson, Mississippi – the state capital – approximately 90 miles north on Hwy 49
- Gulfport, Mississippi – the Gulf Coast – approximately 70 miles south on Hwy 49, on the Gulf of Mexico
- New Orleans, Louisiana – approximately 125 miles southwest on Interstate 59/Interstate 10
- Mobile, Alabama – approximately 100 miles southeast on Hwy 98, on the Gulf of Mexico
- Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi – approximately 150 miles west, on the Mississippi River
- Birmingham, Alabama – approximately 200 miles northeast
- Memphis, Tennessee – approximately 250 miles north
What is the weather like in Hattiesburg?
The climate is mild. You will need a jacket or sweater in winter (December – February), but it almost never snows in South Mississippi! Rain and high humidity, however, are common throughout the year.
- Summer (June, July, August): hot and humid – average temp 27-28 degrees C.
- Winter (December, January, February): cold at night and cool in the daytime – average temp 0-15 degrees C.
- Spring (March, April, May) and Fall (September, October, November): pleasant – average temp 15-27 degrees C.
How can I travel to Hattiesburg?
- by car: driving time from Gulfport: 1.0-1.5 hours
driving time from Jackson: 2.0-2.5 hours
driving time from New Orleans: 2.5-3.0 hours
- by airplane: Gulfport/Biloxi Regional Airport (GPT) – 60 miles from campus
Jackson International Airport (JAN) – 90 miles from campus
New Orleans International Airport (MSY) – 125 miles from campus
Pine Belt Regional Airport (PIB) – 10 miles from campus
- by train: There is an AMTRAK station in downtown Hattiesburg, a 15-minute drive to the Southern Miss campus.
- by bus: There is a Greyhound Bus station on Highway 49 north, a 20-30-minute drive to the campus.
Will the ELI meet me at the airport, the train station, or the bus station?
Yes, we can do that! We will meet you at the airport (GPT, JAN, or PIB), the AMTRAK depot, or the bus station and will help you check into the dormitory, or we can deliver you to a local motel.
Please tell us in advance that you want the ELI Shuttle Service. We need at least a week’s notice…Please communicate with our office before you confirm your travel reservations so that we can help you make your plans. Campus dormitories and food service facilities open only a few days before a term begins. If you arrive too early, you will have to stay in a local motel until the dormitories open. In addition, the ELI Shuttle Service from the Jackson or Gulfport airports is usually available only between 3:00 and 8:00pm. So please remember to check with us BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR TRAVEL RESERVATIONS!
The fee for the ELI Shuttle Service can be charged to your student account:
- Jackson or Gulfport airports: $100
- Hattiesburg bus station, train depot, or Pine Belt Airport: $50