Master's Degree in English, Literature Emphasis
33 credit hours (27 hours coursework + 6 thesis hours)
- ENG 640: Critical Readings and Methods
- ENG 641: Advanced Research and Methods
- One course in literary theory (ENG 540, 644 or 744)
- Four courses in four different distribution areas (American Lit to 1890, British Lit to 1660, British Lit 1660-1890, British & American Lit 1890-1960, Literatures in English after 1960, Non-traditional Literatures in English)
- Two electives
- ENG 698: Thesis (6 hours)
Additional requirements and guidelines:
- Students must demonstrate proficiency in one foreign language. For further information on the foreign language requirement, please click here.
- 500-level classes count towards a University of Southern Mississippi master's degree only with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies, and at least 6 hours must be at the 700-level.
- Students must take ENG 690: Teaching Freshman Composition if they hold an assistantship which includes teaching as one of their duties. ENG 690 hours count as part of the required hours for degree completion. Students must successfully complete a Master’s Comprehensive Examination in August, after the first year of study. The exam may be retaken once.
- Students must complete a Master’s thesis. The Master’s thesis is an article-length critical essay that emerges from a paper produced during the first year of study and that will be revised and developed during the course of ENG 641.