- ENG 312: Postcolonial Literature
- ENG 313: Survey of Multiethnic Literature
- ENG 372: African American Literature
- ENG 410: Studies in Ethnic Literature
- ENG 411: Studies in Postcolonial Literature
- ENG 412: Studies in African Literature
- ENG 473: Studies in African American Literature
The non-traditional literature course may be taken at the 300 or 400 level as either a broad survey of postcolonial, multiethnic, or African American literature, or as a more specialized course of study in one of these areas. This requirement is designed to ensure students encounter literary texts that address racial and/or ethnic diversity and major figures working both within and outside of the British and Anglo-American traditions of world literature in English.
Written assignments for 300-level courses will generally focus on close reading and critical analysis of literary works, while those for 400-level courses will include a research essay and other assignments totaling 5000 words and integrating historical and theoretical perspectives.