Publications and Awards - Monika Gehlawat
- “Space, the Self and Singular in Le Corbusier and Christopher Isherwood,” Literary Imagination, Oxford UP (Fall 2011).
- “Desperately Seeking Singularity in Franny and Zooey,” LIT: Literature Interpretation Theory, Special Issue on J. D. Salinger. Routledge (2011) 59-77.
- “Vito Acconci’s Following Piece: An “I” for an “Eye,” LiCuS: Journal of Literary Theory and Cultural Studies Volume III, no. 6 (2009) 17-28.
- “Akhil Sharma’s The Obedient Father.” Review forthcoming in The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Fiction. ed. Geoff Hamilton, Facts on File (2009).
- “Improvisation, Action and Architecture in Casino Royale.” James Bond and Casino Royale: Revisioning 007. ed. Christoph Lindner, Wallflower Press (2010).
- “Individual Types and Social Praxis in Walter Benjamin.” Writings on the Frankfurt School. ed. Alfred J. Drake, Cambridge UP (2010).
- “The Conscience in Deliberation Behind the Eyes: Post-Impressionism and the Short Stories of Katherine Mansfield.” The Origins of Literary Modernism, ed. Gregory Tague, Academia Press (2008).
- “Painterly Ambitions: Hemingway, Cézanne, and the Short Story,” The Journal for the Short Story in English, special issue on Hemingway Short Stories (Dec. 2007).
- “The Aesthetics of Whiteness: A Study of Melville’s Moby Dick and Robert Ryman’s Monochrome Paintings.” Soundings 88.3-4 (Fall/Winter 2005).
- “The Delight of the Urban Poet,” Exhibition essay for Tom Russotti, “Brooklyn Storefronts and Street Signs,” Brooklyn Historical Society, September 2005.
- “Donald Moffett,” in “Twelve International Painters.” Contemporary. December 2003.
- “Joseph Kosuth,” “Judy Ledgerwood,” “Donald Moffett,” “Beat Streuli,” Life, Death, Love, Hate, Pleasure, Pain, Exhibition and Permanent Collection Catalogue, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, 2002.
- “John White Cerasulo, Complete + Verified,” 12 x 12 Series, www.mcachicago.org, 2002.
- UC Berkeley, Teaching Effectiveness Award, 2007 (14 teachers awarded campus-wide)
- UC Berkeley, English Department Block Grant, 2007-08
- UC Berkeley Normative Time Fellowship, 2006-07
- UC Berkeley Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award, 2006
- UC Berkeley Summer Research Grant for Graduate Students, 2006
- UC Berkeley English Department, Graduate Student Teaching Award, 45C series, 2005
- UC Berkeley Mentored Research Grant for Graduate Students, 2005-06
- UC Berkeley Summer Research Grant for Graduate Students, 2004
- Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellowship, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, 2002
- Smart Museum Fellowship, Education Department, University of Chicago, 2001
- University of Chicago, Fellowship for Graduate Studies, 2000-01