Veterans Education Benefits
Qualified veterans and the dependents of deceased or disabled veterans whose death or disability is a direct result of their military service may be eligible for VA educational benefits under one of the following programs while attending The University of Southern Mississippi:
- Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill-Active Duty/Discharged
- Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33: Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
- Chapter 35: Dependents Education Assistance
- Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve
- Chapter 1607: Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)
- Veterans wanting to use their VA educational benefits for the first time should apply online at http://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ and complete a Form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits, to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
- If educational benefits have previously been used, complete a Form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training, online at http://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
- Submit the following items to the University of Southern Mississippi VA representative in the Bolton Hall room 110:
- Copy of submitted 22-1990 or 22-1995 (see above)
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214)
- VA Advisement Form
Please print out a copy of the VA Application, the VA Information Sheet and the VA Degree Plan and bring them with you to Veteran Assistance in Bolton Hall room 110.
For additional assistance regarding VA educational benefits, please contact the Veteran's Administration at 1-888-442-4551 or http://benefits.va.gov/gibill/. The VA Representative at the University of Southern Mississippi may be contacted at (601) 266-5396. Assistance is given to veterans and dependents of eligible veterans to enable them to derive the maximum benefit from their veterans' educational entitlement.
- For additional information, contact
Department of Veterans Affairs: http://benefits.va.gov/gibill/