Departmental Check List for Gift Card Purchases
Requesting approval for purchase:
- Step 1: Is the purchase going to be charged to a grant?
If yes, proceed to Step 2
If no and charged to E&G budget, call Budget and Tax Compliance for approval (6-4102), then proceed to Step 3
If no and charged to a designated budget, call Controller's Office for approval (6-6677), then proceed to Step 3
- Step 2: When gift cards are purchased with grant funds, complete the Request for Gift Card Purchase form and forward the form to Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA), Box 5157.
SPA will send approved form to Purchasing. ** proceed to Step 4
If SPA does not approve the purchase, the form will be returned to department. No gift card purchase is authorized.
- Step 3: Complete the Request for Gift Card Purchase form and forward the form to Purchasing, Box 5003.
- Step 4: Once the purchase has been approved, notification will be sent by Purchasing to the department
as well as the Office of Budget and Tax Compliance (OBTC)
- Step 5: Purchase can be made
Procedures after approval:
- Step 1: Purchase can be made by Pcard or by Personal funds to be reimbursed.
- Step 2: OBTC will contact department about keeping logs when gift cards are distributed.
- Step 3: If gift cards are purchased on Pcard, proceed to Step 4
If gift cards are purchased with personal funds, proceed to Step 5
- Step 4: When entering purchase information into RESOLVE, upload approved Request for Gift Card Purchase form along with copies of receipts into RESOLVE.
For questions regarding RESOLVE, contact Purchasing at 6-4131
** Proceed to Step 6
- Step 5: When purchases are made with personal funds, complete an Employee Reimbursement Voucher.
Attach a copy of the Request for Gift Card Purchase form and original receipts to the Voucher and send them to Accounts Payable at Box 5104.
For questions regarding this step, contact Accounts Payable at 6-4131
**Proceed to Step 6
- Step 6: Logs should be sent monthly to the Office of Budget and Tax Compliance at Box 5119
unless other arrangements have been approved by OBTC.
**Any gift cards that are not distributed to participants at the end of a grant should be returned to the store of purchase for credit. A copy of the return receipt should be attached to final log and sent to OBTC. Any gift cards not returned for credit will be added to the income of the PI and reported on his or her W-2**