American Fisheries Society
Southern Miss Student Subunit
History and Mission
The University of Southern Mississippi Student Subunit (USMAFS) was founded in 2010 under the auspices of the Mississippi Chapter and the American Fisheries Society (AFS). The goals of the subunit are:
- Promote the conservation, development, and sustainable use of Mississippi’s inland and marine fisheries.
- Promote and evaluate the continuing education, professional development and advancement of its members in all branches of fisheries science, practice, and policy.
- Gather and disseminate to members and the general public scientific, technical, and other information about fisheries science and practice through publications, meetings, and public outreach events.
USMAFS promotes collaboration with practicing fisheries scientists through guest lectures, meetings, and other activities. USMAFS also works with local groups such as the Mississippi Coastal Conservation Association on public outreach events.
Why join AFS?
AFS is a nationally recognized professional organization and being a member allows you to become involved with other fisheries professionals! AFS provides a variety of networking and collaborating opportunities among scientist including regular meetings, publications, and funding. Feel free to talk to one of the subunit officers or visit the AFS website for more information.
How do I join?
See one of the officers for more information. Yearly dues are $15.00 and include access to a variety of online publications and subscription to Fisheries magazine.
The USM Subunit of the American Fisheries Society
703 East Beach Dr.
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
- Jeremy Higgs - President
- Mike Andres - Vice President
- Keith Cuevas - Treasurer
- Leah Gaines - Secretary
- Dr. Frank Hernandez - Faculty Advisor
- Kelsey Burns, President
- Claire Matten, Vice President
- Stephanie Taylor, Secretary
- Keith Cuevas, Treasurer
- Zachary Olsen, President
- Kelsey Burns, Vice President
- Carly Somerset, Secretary
- Claire Matten, Treasurer
- President: Michael Lowe
- Vice President: John Francis/Charlie Foster (Charlie had to leave before his term was up)
- Secretary: Rachel Brewton
- Treasurer: Allison Odom
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Eric Hoffmayer
Dr. Mark Peterson serves as our faculty advisor.
USM-AFS travel awards provide partial travel support for active sub-unit members in good standing that are presenting research results at domestic and international professional meetings.
Details and application form