Fall 2014 Seminar Series
The Department of Coastal Sciences seminar series is hosted at the GCRL from September through early December 2014. Seminar speakers from across the country discuss scientific research related to coastal and marine sciences.
All seminars are held in the auditorium of the Caylor Building. (Site map - The Caylor Building is just below the compass rose.) and are open to the public free of charge. Sessions begin at 10:00 a.m. unless otherwise noted in the description below and last approximately one hour.
Contact Dr. Eric Saillant at 228.818.8007 or email@example.com for further information.
Downloadable schedule [pdf file] current revision: September 2, 2014
- Thursday, September 4 - Dr. Christopher Green, School of Renewable Natural Resources, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center
Title: Dispersants, oil, and time: The resulting toxicological and physiological effects on the Gulf killifish.
- Friday, September 12 - Dr. Matheew Freeman, Department of Agricultural Economics Mississippi State University
Title: The Economics Behind New Aquaculture Products: Value-added Prawns
- Thursday September 18 - Dr. Jeffrey Krause, Dauphin Island Sea Lab, University of South Alabama
Title: Can Silicon structure coastal plankton food webs?
- Thursday, September 25 - Dr. Craig Echt, USDA Forest Service, Southern Institute of Forest Genetics
Title: genetic diversity of longleaf pine
- Thursday, October 2 - Mr. Scott Hereford, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Mississippi Sandhill Crane
National Wildlife Refuge
Title: Conservation of the Mississippi Sandhill Crane
- Thursday, October 9 - Jacquelina Woods, Food and Drug Administration
Title: Overview of Foodborne Viral Pathogens
- Thursday, October 16 - Gina Boor, Ecology Department, Montana State University
Title: Deriving Range-Wide Steller Sea Lion Use Patterns from an Unlikely Data
- Thursday, October 23 - Dr. Rob Williams, University of St Andrews, Sea Mammal Research Unit
Title: Marine Mammal Science
- Thursday, October 30 - Open
- Thursday, November 6 - Dr. Heidi Lyn, College of Education & Psychology, University of Southern
Title: Marine and Terrestrial Mammals: Analogies in Cognition
- CANCELLED, 11/10/14. Thursday, November 13 - Dr. Patricia Luque, Department of coastal Sciences, The University of Southern
Title: Calcified structures in marine top predators: beyond age determination
- Date change: Friday, November 21 - Dr. Shannon Gowans, Galbraith Marine Science Laboratory, Eckerd College
Title: Social structuring in a complex population mosaic: Bottlenose dolphins in Tampa Bay.
- Thursday 27-November 27, Thanksgiving Holiday
- Thursday, December 4 - Dr. Sarah Bush, Department of Biology, University of Utah
Title: Evolution of Cryptic Coloration in Ectoparasites