Dr. Donald R. Johnson
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
703 East Beach Drive
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Phone: (228) 872-4298
Fax: (228) 872-4204
- Senior Scientist - Center for Fisheries Research and Development, Physical Oceanography
- Ph.D. - University of Miami (RSMAS), 1974, Physical Oceanography
- A.B. - University of California (Berkeley), 1961, Physics
- Ocean Surface Current Climatology in the Northern Gulf of Mexico
- Linkages between circulation and life history strategies
- Western Boundary Currents
- Estuarine Circulation and Outflow Plumes
- Internal Waves and Solibores
- Remote Sensing and Ocean Optics
- Johnson, D., D. Burrage, J. Wesson and J. Miller. 2003. Chesapeake Bay outflow plumefrom an airborne salinity sensor. Cont. Shelf Res. (Accepted).
- Johnson, D., J. Miller and O. Schofield. 2003. Dynamics and optics of the Hudson River outflow plume. J. Geophys. Res. (In press).
- Perry, H., D. R. Johnson, K. Larsen, C. Trigg and F. Vukovich. 2003. Blue crab larval dispersion and retention in the Mississippi Bight: Testing the hypothesis. Bull. Mar. Sci. (In press).
- Johnson, D. R., A. Weidemann and W. S. Pegau. 2001. Internal bores and bottom nepheloid layers. Cont. Shelf Res. 21:1473-1484.
- Johnson, D. R., H. M. Perry and W. D. Burke. 2001. Developing jellyfish strategy hypotheses using circulation models. Hydrobiologia 451:213-221.
- Weidemann, A. D., D. R. Johnson, R. J. Holyer, W. S. Pegau, L. A. Jugan and J. C. Sandidge. 2001. Remote imaging of internal solitons in the coastal ocean. Remote Sensing of the Environment 76:260-267.
- Johnson, D. R., A. Weidemann, R. Arnone, and C. O. Davis . 2001. The Chesapeake Bay outflow plume and coastal upwelling events: physical and optical properties. J. Geophys. Res.106:11613-11622.
- Johnson, D. R., M. Kappus, R. Arnone, C. O. Davis, A. Weidemann and M. Routhier. 2000. Unraveling the dynamics of a coastal buoyancy jet. Naval Research Laboratory Review - 2000, NRL Washington, D. C., 183-185. Selected by Lab-wide internal competition.
- McClimans, D. R. Johnson, M. Krosshavn, S. E. King, J. Carroll and O. Grenness. 2000. Transport processes in the Kara Sea. J. Geophys. Res.105:14,121-14,139.
- Johnson, D. R., V. Asper, T. McClimans and A. Weidemann. 2000. Optical properties of the Kara Sea. J. Geophys. Res.105: 8805-8811.
- Johnson, D. R. and H. M. Perry. 1999. Blue crab larval dispersion and retention in the Mississippi Bight. Bull. Mar. Sci. 65:129-149.
- Johnson, D. R., S. E. King, M. Krosshavn, and T. A. McClimans. 1999. Nuclear contamination studies in the Russian Arctic. Naval Research Laboratory Review - 1999, NRL Washington, D. C., 141-142. Selected by Lab-wide internal competition.
- Perry, H. M., D. Johnson, C. Trigg, C. Eleuterius, and J. Warren. 1998. Application of remote sensing to settlement of Callinectes sapidus megalopae in the Mississippi Bight. J. Shellfish Res.17:1439-1442.
- Krosshavn, M., J. Carrol, T. Engoy, O. Grenness, A. Johnsen, D. Johnson, S. King, & A. Rudd. 1998. Transport pathways of radionuclides and chemical contaminants in the Kara Sea. Radiation Protection Dosimetry 75:229 236.
- Johnson, D. R. and A. D. Weidemann. 1998. A tidal plume front and internal solitons. Cont. Shelf Res.18:923-928.
- Johnson, D. R., T. A. McClimans, S. E. King and O. Grenness. 1997. Fresh water masses in the Kara Sea during summer. J. Marine Sys.12:127-145.
- King, S. E., J. Carroll, M. Krosshavn, D. R. Johnson, G. W. Phillips, R. A. August, F. Boisson and J.-L. Teyssie. 1997. Transport of 137 CS in the Kara Sea, Radioprotection-Colloques 32 (C2): 231-237.
- Johnson, D. R. 1995. Wind-forced surface currents at the entrance to Chesapeake Bay and their relationship to blue crab larval dispersion and post-larval recruitment. Bull. Mar. Sci. 57(3):726-738.
- Bruce, J. G., D. R. Johnson and J. C. Kindle. 1994. Evidence for eddy formation in the eastern Arabian Sea during the northeast monsoon. J. Geophys. Res. 99:7651-7664.
- Pistek, P. and D. R. Johnson. 1992. Transport of the Norwegian Atlantic Current as determined from satellite altimetry. Geophys. Res. Letters 19:1379-1382.
- Pistek, P. and D. R. Johnson (1992), A study of the Iceland-Faeroe Front using GEOSATaltimetry and current following drifters. Deep Sea Res. 39:2029-2051.
- Johnson, D.R., J.D. Thompson and J.D. Hawkins. 1992. Circulation in the Gulf of Mexico from GEOSAT altimetry during 1985 1986. J. Geophys. Res. 97:2201-2214.
- Fetterer, F.M., S. Laxon and D.R. Johnson. 1991. A comparison of GEOSAT altimeter and Synthetic Aperture Radar measurements over East Greenland pack ice. Int. J. Remote Sensing 12:569-583.
- La Violette, P.E., D.R. Johnson and D.A. Brooks. 1990. Sun glitter photographs of Georges Bank and the Gulf of Maine from the space shuttle. Oceanography 3:43 49.
- Johnson, D.R.1989. Review and commentary to An overview of the poleward undercurrent and upwelling along the Chilean Coast, in Poleward Flows Along Eastern Ocean Boundaries, Coastal and Estuarine Studies series, Ed. Neshyba, Smith, Mooers and Barber, Springer Verlag, 219 228.
- Johnson, D.R. and B.S. Hester. 1988. Larval transport and its association with recruitment of blue crabs to Chesapeake Bay. Est. Coast. Shelf Sci. 28:459 472.
- Johnson, D.R. 1987. A surface current meter. Cont. Shelf Res. 7:975 986.
- Johnson, D.R. 1987. Nearshore surface currents in the Chesapeake Bight during summer. Cont. Shelf Res. 7:367 378.
- Lemming, T. and D.R. Johnson. 1985. Application of Circulation Models to Larval Dispersment and Recruitment. Mar. Tech. Soc. Jour. 19:34 41.
- Johnson, D.R. 1985. Wind forced dispersion of blue crab larvae in the Middle Atlantic Bight, Cont. Shelf Res. 4:733 745.
- Johnson, D.R., B.S. Hester and J.R. McConaugha. 1984. Studies of a wind mechanism influencing the recruitment of blue crab in the Middle Atlantic Bight. Cont. Shelf Res. 3: 425 437.
- Johnson, D.R., M.M. Nguli and E.J. Kimani. 1982. Response to annually reversing monsoon winds at the southern boundary of the Somali Current. Deep Sea Res. 29:1217 1227.
- Johnson, D.R. and C.N.K. Mooers. 1981. Internal cross shelf flow reversals during coastal upwelling, Coastal Upwelling, Ed. by F.A. Richards, in Coastal and Estuarine Sciences, A Monograph Series, 188 192.
- Johnson, D.R., T. Fonseca and H. Sievers. 1980. Upwelling in the Humboldt Coastal Current near Valparaiso, Chile. J. Mar. Res. 38:1 16.
- Johnson, D.R. and W.R. Johnson. 1979. Vertical and cross shelf flow in the coastal upwelling region off Oregon. Deep Sea Res. 26A:399 408.
- Johnson, D.R. 1977. Determining vertical velocities during upwelling off the Oregon coast, Deep Sea Res. 24:171 180.
- Johnson, D.R. (1976), Current Profiles in the Canary Current upwelling region near Cap Blanc, March and April, 1974. J. Geophy. Res. 81:6429 6439.
- Johnson, D. R., E.D. Barton, P. Hughes and C.N.K. Mooers. 1975. Circulation in the Canary Current upwelling region off Cabo Bojador in August, 1972, Deep Sea Res. 22:547 558.
- Duing, W. and D.R. Johnson. 1972. High resolution current profiling in the Florida Current. Deep Sea Res.19:259 274.
- Duing, W. and D.R. Johnson. 1971. Southward flow under the Florida Current. Science 173:428 430.