Frank J. Hernandez, Ph.D.
PDF links indicate publications available for free download to all users. For DOI links, a summary of the publication is available to all users, but full access may require an account with the particular journal or fee.
- D'Ambra, I., W.M. Graham, R.H. Carmichael and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2015. Fish rely on scyphozoan hosts as a primary food source: evidence from stable isotope analysis. Marine Biology 162(2): 247-252. DOI: 10.1007/s00227-014-2569-5.
(feature article) DOI
- Carassou, L., F.J. Hernandez and W.M. Graham. 2014. Change and recovery of coastal mesozooplankton community structure during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Environmental Research Letters 9 124003. PDF
- Robinson, K.L., J.J. Ruzicka, M.B. Decker, R.D. Brodeur, F.J. Hernandez, E.M. Acha, J. Quinones, S. Uye, H. Mianzan and W.M. Graham. 2014. Jellyfish, forage fish and the world's major fisheries. Oceanography 27(4): 104-115. DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., L. Carassou, W.M. Graham and S.P. Powers. 2013. Evaluation of the taxonomic sufficiency approach for ichthyoplankton community analysis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 491:77-90. DOI
- Powers, S.P., F. Hernandez, R.H. Condon, J.M. Drymon and C.M. Free. 2013. Novel pathways for injury from offshore oil spills: direct, sublethal and indirect effects of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on pelagic Sargassum communities. PLoS ONE 8(9): e74802. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0074802. PDF
- Scyphers, S.B., F.J. Fodrie, F.J. Hernandez, Jr., S.P. Powers and R.L. Shipp. 2013. Venting and reef fish survival: perceptions and participation rates among recreational anglers in the northern Gulf of Mexico. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 33(6):1071-1078. DOI
- Carassou, L., F. Hernandez, S. Powers and W. Graham. 2012. Cross-shore, seasonal and depth-related structure of ichthyoplankton assemblages in coastal Alabama. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141(4): 1137-1150. DOI
- Carassou, L., B. Dzwonkowski, F. Hernandez, S. Powers, K. Park, W. Graham and J. Mareska. 2011. Environmental influences on juvenile fish abundances in a river-dominated coastal system. Marine and Coastal Fisheries 3(1): 411-427.DOI
- Dzwonkowski, B., K. Park, H.K. Ha, W.M. Graham, F.J. Hernandez and S.P. Powers. 2011.Hydrographic variability on a coastal shelf directly influenced by estuarine flow. Continental Shelf Research 31(9): 939-950.DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., L. Carassou, S. Muffelman, S.P. Powers and W.M. Graham. 2011. Comparison of two plankton net mesh sizes for ichthyoplankton collection in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Fisheries Research 108: 327-335.DOI
- Graham, W.M., R.H. Condon, R.H. Carmichael, I. D'Ambra, H.K. Patterson, L.J. Linn and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2010. Oil carbon entered the coastal planktonic food web during theDeepwater Horizon oil spill. Environmental Research Letters 5: 045301. DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., S.P. Powers and W.M. Graham. 2010. Detailed examination of ichthyoplankton seasonality from a high resolution time series in the northern Gulf of Mexico during 2004-2006. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139: 1511-1525.DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., S.P. Powers and W.M. Graham. 2010. Seasonal variability inichthyoplankton abundance and assemblage composition in the northern Gulf of Mexico off Alabama. Fishery Bulletin 108:193-207.PDF
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., J.A. Hare and D.P. Fey. 2009. Evaluating diel, ontogenetic and environmental effects on larval fish vertical distribution using generalized additive models for location, scale and shape. Fisheries Oceanography 18(4): 224-236.DOI
- Bayha, K.M., W.M. Graham and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2008. Multiplex assay to identify eggs of three fish species from the northern Gulf of Mexico, using locked nucleic acid Taqman real-time PCR probes. Aquatic Biology 4: 65–73.PDF
- Lindquist, D.C., R.F. Shaw and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2005. Distribution patterns of larval and juvenile fishes at offshore petroleum platforms in the north-central Gulf of Mexico. Estuarine, Coastaland Shelf Science 62: 655-665.DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., R.F. Shaw, J.S. Cope, J.G. Ditty, T. Farooqi, and M.C. Benfield. 2003. The across-shelf larval, postlarval, and juvenile fish community associated with offshore oil and gas platforms and a coastal rock jetty west of the Mississippi River Delta. American Fisheries Society Symposium 36:39-72. PDF
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr. and R.F. Shaw. 2003. Comparison of plankton net and light-trap methodologies for sampling larval and juvenile fishes at offshore petroleum platforms and a coastal jetty off Louisiana. American Fisheries Society Symposium 36:15-38. PDF
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr. and D.G. Lindquist. 1999. A comparison of two light-trap designs for sampling larval and presettlement juvenile fish above a reef in Onslow Bay, NorthCarolina. Bulletin of Marine Science 64(1): 173-184. DOI