Frank J. Hernandez, Ph.D.
PDF links indicate publications available for free download to all users. For DOI links, a summary of the publication is available to all users, but full access may require an account with the particular journal or fee.
- Robinson, K.L., J.J. Ruzicka, F.J. Hernandez, W.M. Graham, M.B. Decker, R.D. Brodeur and M. Sutor. 2015. Evaluating energy flows through jellyfish and gulf menhaden (Brevoortia patronus) and the effects of fishing on the northern Gulf ofMexico ecosystem. ICES Journal of Marine Science. DOI: 10.1093/icesjms/fsv088. DOI
- Carassou, L., F.J. Hernandez and W.M. Graham. 2015. Corrigendum: Change and recovery of coastal mesozooplankton community structure during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill (2014 Environ. Res. Lett. 9 124003). Environmental Research Letters 10(4): 49501-49501. PDF
- D'Ambra, I., W.M. Graham, R.H. Carmichael and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2015. Fish rely on scyphozoan hosts as a primary food source: evidence from stable isotope analysis. Marine Biology 162(2): 247-252. DOI: 10.1007/s00227-014-2569-5.
(feature article) DOI
- Carassou, L., F.J. Hernandez and W.M. Graham. 2014. Change and recovery of coastal mesozooplankton community structure during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Environmental Research Letters 9 124003. PDF
- Robinson, K.L., J.J. Ruzicka, M.B. Decker, R.D. Brodeur, F.J. Hernandez, E.M. Acha, J. Quinones, S. Uye, H. Mianzan and W.M. Graham. 2014. Jellyfish, forage fish and the world's major fisheries. Oceanography 27(4): 104-115. DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., L. Carassou, W.M. Graham and S.P. Powers. 2013. Evaluation of the taxonomic sufficiency approach for ichthyoplankton community analysis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 491:77-90. DOI
- Powers, S.P., F. Hernandez, R.H. Condon, J.M. Drymon and C.M. Free. 2013. Novel pathways for injury from offshore oil spills: direct, sublethal and indirect effects of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on pelagic Sargassum communities. PLoS ONE 8(9): e74802. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0074802. PDF
- Scyphers, S.B., F.J. Fodrie, F.J. Hernandez, Jr., S.P. Powers and R.L. Shipp. 2013. Venting and reef fish survival: perceptions and participation rates among recreational anglers in the northern Gulf of Mexico. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 33(6):1071-1078. DOI
- Carassou, L., F. Hernandez, S. Powers and W. Graham. 2012. Cross-shore, seasonal and depth-related structure of ichthyoplankton assemblages in coastal Alabama. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141(4): 1137-1150. DOI
- Carassou, L., B. Dzwonkowski, F. Hernandez, S. Powers, K. Park, W. Graham and J. Mareska. 2011. Environmental influences on juvenile fish abundances in a river-dominated coastal system. Marine and Coastal Fisheries 3(1): 411-427.DOI
- Dzwonkowski, B., K. Park, H.K. Ha, W.M. Graham, F.J. Hernandez and S.P. Powers. 2011.Hydrographic variability on a coastal shelf directly influenced by estuarine flow. Continental Shelf Research 31(9): 939-950.DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., L. Carassou, S. Muffelman, S.P. Powers and W.M. Graham. 2011. Comparison of two plankton net mesh sizes for ichthyoplankton collection in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Fisheries Research 108: 327-335.DOI
- Graham, W.M., R.H. Condon, R.H. Carmichael, I. D'Ambra, H.K. Patterson, L.J. Linn and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2010. Oil carbon entered the coastal planktonic food web during theDeepwater Horizon oil spill. Environmental Research Letters 5: 045301. DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., S.P. Powers and W.M. Graham. 2010. Detailed examination of ichthyoplankton seasonality from a high resolution time series in the northern Gulf of Mexico during 2004-2006. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139: 1511-1525.DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., S.P. Powers and W.M. Graham. 2010. Seasonal variability inichthyoplankton abundance and assemblage composition in the northern Gulf of Mexico off Alabama. Fishery Bulletin 108:193-207.PDF
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., J.A. Hare and D.P. Fey. 2009. Evaluating diel, ontogenetic and environmental effects on larval fish vertical distribution using generalized additive models for location, scale and shape. Fisheries Oceanography 18(4): 224-236.DOI
- Bayha, K.M., W.M. Graham and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2008. Multiplex assay to identify eggs of three fish species from the northern Gulf of Mexico, using locked nucleic acid Taqman real-time PCR probes. Aquatic Biology 4: 65–73.PDF
- Lindquist, D.C., R.F. Shaw and F.J. Hernandez, Jr. 2005. Distribution patterns of larval and juvenile fishes at offshore petroleum platforms in the north-central Gulf of Mexico. Estuarine, Coastaland Shelf Science 62: 655-665.DOI
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr., R.F. Shaw, J.S. Cope, J.G. Ditty, T. Farooqi, and M.C. Benfield. 2003. The across-shelf larval, postlarval, and juvenile fish community associated with offshore oil and gas platforms and a coastal rock jetty west of the Mississippi River Delta. American Fisheries Society Symposium 36:39-72. PDF
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr. and R.F. Shaw. 2003. Comparison of plankton net and light-trap methodologies for sampling larval and juvenile fishes at offshore petroleum platforms and a coastal jetty off Louisiana. American Fisheries Society Symposium 36:15-38. PDF
- Hernandez, F.J., Jr. and D.G. Lindquist. 1999. A comparison of two light-trap designs for sampling larval and presettlement juvenile fish above a reef in Onslow Bay, NorthCarolina. Bulletin of Marine Science 64(1): 173-184. DOI