Robert Thomas Leaf, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor - Department of Coastal Sciences
228.872.4296 fax: 228.872.4204
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
703 East Beach Drive
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
- 2010 - Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Blacksburg, VA
PhD in Fisheries and Wildlife Science
Dissertation: The Evolutionary Effects of Fishing: Implications for Stock Management and Rebuilding
- 2005 - San Jose State University - Moss Landing Marine Laboratories Moss Landing, CA
Master of Science in Marine Sciences
Thesis: Population Biology of Red Abalone, Haliotis rufescens, in Northern California
- 2004 - Jackson State University/NOAA Fisheries Jackson, MS
Participant, Marine Stock Assessment Short Course
- 1997 - University of California at Santa Cruz Santa Cruz, CA
Bachelor of Arts in Biology
Senior Project: A Key to the Intertidal Fishes of Monterey Bay
Papers in Refereed Journals
- 2012 - Friedland, K.D., Stock, C., Drinkwater K.F., Link, J.S., Leaf, R.T., Shank, B.V., Rose, J., Pilskaln, C.H., and Fogarty, M. Pathways Between Primary Production and Fisheries Yields of Large Marine Ecosystems. PLoS ONE.
- 2011- Leaf, R.T., Y. Jiao, B. Murphy, J. Kramer, and K. Sorensen. Life-history and husbandry characteristics of Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes). Copeia 4:559-565.
- 2010 - Hennningsen, A.D and R.T. Leaf. Observations on the captive biology of the southern stingray, Dasyatis americana. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139:783-791.
- 2009 - Leaf, R.T. and B. Murphy. Age and growth of Hawaiian Islands reef fish: a case study using Excel “Solver” for non-linear curve fitting. Published online at: The National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science Case Collection, University of Buffalo.
- 2008 - Leaf, R.T., A.H. Andrews, G.M. Cailliet, and T.A. Brown. Bomb radiocarbon support for an age-at-length relationship for red abalone, Haliotis rufescens Swainson, in Northern California. Journal of Shellfish Research 27:1177-1182.
- 2008 - Leaf, R.T., L. Rogers-Bennett, and Y. Jiao. Exploring the use of a size-based egg- per-recruit model for the Red Abalone fishery in California. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28:1638-1647.
- 2007 - Leaf, R.T., L. Rogers-Bennett, and P. Haaker. Spatial, temporal, and size-specific variation in mortality estimates of red abalone, Haliotis rufescens, from mark-recapture data in California. Fisheries Research 83: 341-350.
- 2006 - Rogers-Bennett, L. and R.T. Leaf. Elasticity analysis of size-based red and white abalone matrix models: Management and conservation. Ecological Applications, 16: 213-224.
- 2005 - Rogers-Bennett, L. and R.T. Leaf. Measuring Abalone and Sea Urchins. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 86: 278-281.
- 2011 - “RSAT”, an R package with tools for the extraction and conversion of NASA ocean color satellite data to data types that are readily usable in the R computing environment.
Platform and Poster Presentations
- 2012 - Regional Association for Research on the Gulf of Maine, Portsmouth, NH
ICES/PICES Young Scientist Meeting, Palma, Spain
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Coastal Sciences, Ocean Springs, MS
- 2011 - Ecological Applications Group, NOAA Research Retreat, Newport, RI
Fisheries and the Environment Annual Meeting, Portland, OR
- 2010 - Hudson River Foundations, New York, NY
- 2009 - American Fisheries Society Student Colloquium, Blacksburg, VA
American Fisheries Society Meeting, Nashville, TN
International Symposium on Fish Otolith Research and Application, Monterey, CA
International Radiocarbon Conference, Big Island, HI
Virginia Chapter of the American Fisheries Society, Lexington, VA
- 2008 - American Fisheries Society Student Colloquium, Fall Creek Falls, TN
National Stock Assessment Workshop, Port Townsend, WA
NMFS/SeaGrant Annual Fellows Meeting, Honolulu, HI
Virginia Chapter of the American Fisheries Society, Blacksburg, VA
- 2007 - NMFS/SeaGrant Annual Fellows Meeting, Miami, FL
Benthic Ecology Meeting, Atlanta, GA
- 2006 - National Shellfisheries Association Annual Meeting, Monterey, CA
- 2005 - NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center, Beaufort, NC
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences, Blacksburg, VA
Western Society of Naturalists, Monterey, CA
- 2004 - Western Society of Naturalists, Rohnert Park, CA
- 2003 - California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Symposium, Asilomar, CA
- Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Fisheries Research, Coral Reefs, Proceedings of the Southeastern Association of Fisheries and Wildlife Managers, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, Ecological Applications, Chinese Journal of Oceanography
Undergraduate and High School Student Mentor Activity
- 2009 - Eric Tobin, Undergraduate, Wildlife Sciences, Virginia Tech
Eric presented a talk (Virginia American Fisheries Society, 2009) and is a co-author of the manuscript in preparation: “Population abundance of northern snakehead…”
- 2008 - Karl Sorensen, High School Student, Salem High School, Virginia
I mentored Karl for participation in the “Discovery Channel National Science Fair”. Karl presented both a poster (AFS Student Colloquium, 2008) and a talk (AFS Student Colloquium, 2009) and he is a co-author of the published work: “Life-history and husbandry characteristics of Japanese medaka.”
- 2008 - Jeff Kramer, Undergraduate, Biology, Virginia Tech
Jeff presented a poster (AFS Student Colloquium, 2008) and is a co-author of the published work: “Life-history and husbandry characteristics of Japanese medaka”
Mentions in the Popular Press
2010 - “The Concrete Jungle” by R. Sullivan. Published Sept. 2 in New York Magazine