Mark S. Peterson, Ph.D.
Fisheries Ecology Group
Post Doctoral Fellow
Fisheries Ecology Technician I, Peterson Lab
Fisheries Ecology Technician III, Peterson Lab
Current Graduate Students and Candidates
Distribution, diet, age/growth and reproduction of invasive lionfish, Pterois sp., in the northern Gulf of Mexico
WLOX, May 19. 2013 - Bounty Out For Lionfish (video interview)
Former University of Southern Mississippi Graduate Students
- Brinton Barnes, (M.S.) May 2014. Diets of predatory fishes in relation to reef type and seasonal differences on inshore reefs in the Northern Gulf of Mexico
- Cher Newman (M.S.) December 2013. Age, growth, mortality, and the affects of trawling on Longspined Porgy, Stenotomus caprinus.
- Michael R. Lowe (Ph.D.) May 2013. Community metrics and trophic dynamics in tidal creeks in an anthropogenically fragmented, coastal landscape.
- Sam Clardy (M.S.) December 2012. Life History of the Southern Kingfish, Menticirrhus americanus, within the Mississippi Sound
- Bradley M. Ennis (M.S.) December 2012. Nekton habitat use patterns along an intertidal gradient in micro-tidal saltmarshes
- Erik T. Lang (M.S.) December 2010. Reproductive life history of Fundulus jenkinsi and comparative development of five sympatric fundulid species.
- Jeanne-Marie Havrylkoff (M.S.). August 2010. Gulf sturgeon of the Pascagoula: Post-Katrina assessment of seasonal usage of the lower estuary.
- John D. Lopez (M.S.) August 2009. Characterization of habitat, abundance, distribution and perspectives on Fundulus jenkinsi (saltmarsh topminnow) life history in the north-central Gulf of Mexico.
- Kim Dawson-Guynn (M.S.) May 2007. A review of mercury in fishes with a detailed treatment of mercury in patagonian toothfish, Dissostichus eleginoides Smitt 1898, among three distinct ocean basins.
- Jennifer L. McDonald (M.S.) December 2006. Habitat characteristics and reproductive behavior of introduced Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in coastal Mississippi: interactions with native centrarchids?
- Melissa L. Partyka (M.S.) August 2005. Salt marsh communities in an anthropogenic landscape: habitat characteristics, distribution and density of infauna, epifauna and nekton along an estuarine gradient.
- Tami Wells (M.S.) May 2005. Hyperspectral remote sensing of noxious aquatic vegetation in the Mobile-Tensaw River Delta, Alabama. (co-chair).
- Gretchen Waggy (M.S.) December 2004. Life history of the silver perch, Bairdiella chrysoura Lacepède in the north-central Gulf of Mexico.
- Brian J. Lezina (M.S.) August 2004. Life history of the Gulf toadfish, Opsanus beta in the north-central Gulf of Mexico.
- Ches Vervaeke (M.S.) May 2004. Stage-structured predator/prey interactions between seasonal transients and permanent residents of an estuary: A testing of the "window of vulnerability" hypothesis.
- Gregory L. Fulling (Ph.D.) May 2001. Prey patchiness and the associated distribution and growth of larval anchovies: an estuarine landscape perspective.
- Christa M. Woodley (M.S.) May 2001. Measuring predation threat using behavioral and physiological metrics: implications for habitat loss in estuarine ecosystems.
- Eric J. Pederson (M.S.) December 2000. Bryozoa as ephemeral estuarine habitat: use by invertebrates and young fishes.
- J. Read Hendon (M.S.) August 1998. Spatial and temporal distribution of Gobiid fishes in natural and altered marsh-edge habitats.
- Douglas J. Snyder (M.S.) December 1997. Life history of a peripheral population of bluespotted sunfish, Enneacanthus gloriosus in southern Mississippi.
Former Mississippi State University Graduate Students
- Gregorious N. Susanto (M.S.) December 1994. Salinity tolerance, osmoregulation, and respiratory physiology of coastal largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides.
- Steven J. VanderKooy (M.S.) August 1994. Survival of juvenile walleye, Stizostedion vitreum, in riverine systems: test of the prey size vulnerability and swimming performance hypotheses.
- Natalie J. Musselman (M.S.) July 1993. Interaction of salinity and prey salt content on osmoregulation and growth of juvenile bluegill, Lepomis macrochirus.