College Field Trips
Your Invitation to explore the Gulf of Mexico!
The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory offers facilities to help college and university groups explore the environments of Mississippi’s coastal and Gulf of Mexico waters.
- Our facilities and vessels are available to college classes for field trips.
- Faculty from our affiliate institutions may teach an organized course at the GCRL with credit awarded through his or her home institution.
Planning Your Trip
Work with a single point of contact to organize your field trip experience. For more information about fee schedules or reservations, contact:
Sam Clardy - email 228.818.8885
Site and Facilities
- Located in Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- A 50-acre peninsula surrounded by the Mississippi Sound and adjacent bayous
- Research-intensive environment
- Well-equipped teaching laboratories
- Marine sciences library
- Research museum
- Skiff rental — four 3-person skiffs available for marsh and bayou excursions
- Research vessels available for charter:
- R/V Tommy Munro, 97-foot, fully equipped fisheries and oceanographic research vessel;
- R/V Tom McIlwain, 55-foot, used as a research platform for marine and estuarine research and a floating classroom for GCRL courses and field groups;
- R/V Hermes, 38-foot steel trawler used for student field excursions in the Mississippi Sound
- Tour of the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory facilities by appointment
- Interaction by appointment with scientists and faculty from the Department of Coastal Sciences and the Center for Fisheries Research and Development (both headquartered at GCRL) and the Gulf Coast Geospatial Center.
- Service learning project on Deer Island.
Also in the Area
- Outstanding nature preserves, national seashore and art museums are nearby. Details