The objective of the study was to Investigate how juvenile sport fishes use both floating Sargassum and oceanic convergence zones as habitat.
Study conducted with Dr. Bruce Comyns, Department of Coastal Sciences
WHY? Need for regulation/protection?
- Important as habitat for young fishes
- Important to Mississippi's sport fishes
Species Collected in Association with Sargassum
- larval bluefin tuna
- larval billfish
- juvenile sailfish
- all life stages of dophinfish
- all life stages of tripletail
- juvenile greater amberjack