Explore a SeashoreLove the beach? Want to know more? Come and Explore a Seashore.
The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory’s Marine Education Center is proud to announce the fall schedule of workshops for the public. In these exciting events, individuals and families can explore the rich diversity and dynamic landscape of the Northern Gulf of Mexico coast. These workshops are like educational vacations for people who want a better understanding their coastal habitat.
We design our Explore a Seashore programs to stimulate scientific thinking and appreciation for the marine ecosystem. These programs help participants to see the complex beauty in our marine resources and understand the key role they play in our economy and our lifestyles. We hope you will learn new ways to live in harmony with local habitats and natural processes.
This series of family educational experiences is designed to address the four focus areas of Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Consortium:
Learn more about your surroundings in our 2013 programs. Follow the links for details. CEU credits are available for teachers. You may download a flyer describing the current programs.
|April 26-27||May 3-4||Art and Science on Horn Island
In cooperation with the Walter Anderson Museum of Art. Fee for museum members is discounted to $50.
|May 10-11||May 17-18||Sharks, Shores and a Whole Lot More||$20||0.8|
* Outdoor programs are dependent on weather and will be postponed if conditions are excessively uncomfortable or dangerous. If a session must be cancelled, it will be rescheduled on the rain date. Please make sure you are available on the rain date.
Program fees are not refundable or transferable. However, if GCRL must cancel a program and it cannot be held on the rain date, fees will be refunded.
- The fee for most courses is $20. The fee for Art and Science on Horn Island is $50 for members of the Walter Anderson Museum of Art and $65 for non-members.
- Programs are appropriate for adults and their children aged 12 and up. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- CEU credits are available for teachers. Teachers obtain CEUs by requesting them on the application and completing registration paperwork during the session.
- Program fees are not refundable or transferable. However, if GCRL must cancel a program and it cannot be held on the rain date, fees will be refunded.
Participating teachers may receive CEUs by requesting them on the application.
Forms and Documents
- Registration form [pdf] (downloadable interactive form)
- Information for Participants [pdf]
- Explore a Seashore Rules [pdf]