The Central Gulf Coast Regional Competition for the National Ocean Sciences Bowl. The 2014 theme is Ocean Acidification.
Congratulations to Poplarville High School on a first place finish in both brackets.
The information below for the 2014 event is provided as a reference for potential 2015 Hurricane Bowl participants.
The Hurricane Bowl is an annual academic competition focusing on ocean sciences for high school students. The Hurricane Bowl is the Central Gulf Coast regional preliminary to the National Ocean Sciences Bowl (NOSB). The program encourages students to increase their knowledge and understanding of the world’s oceans and to embrace and recognize academic excellence.
The Hurricane Bowl hosts up to 20 teams of high school students from the Central Gulf Coast area, including Alabama, Arkansas, the Florida panhandle, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
The 2014 competition will take place on February 1, 2014 at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory’s Marine Education Center at 703 East Beach Drive in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Agenda
- Team registration deadline: December 20, 2013
- Regional Competition Ocean Springs, Mississippi:
January 31 - February 1, 2014March 7 - 8, 2014.
- NOSB® Finals in Seattle, Washington: May 1 - 4, 2014
Registration forms are available here as pdf files. You may download them and type information directly into the forms and save the completed forms. Completed team registration forms can be emailed as pdf files to Beth Jones. Alternatively, you may send paper forms by USPS mail or a delivery service to the attention of Beth Jones, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, 703 East Beach Dr., Ocean Springs, MS 39564.
- Team Registration (must be submitted for for each team by December 21, 2013.)
- Coach Registration (required for each coach)
- Parental Consent (required for each student participants)
- Boat Waiver Form (required for each participant)
The deadline for registration is December 20, 2013. A maximum of 20 teams will be registered.
Schools wishing to register a second team (Team B) should register that team as soon as possible. B Teams will not be formally registered for the Hurricane Bowl until after December 20, 2013, and on a first-come, first-served basis. This allows teams from as many schools as possible to compete.
In the event that 20 teams register from separate schools prior to December 21, 2013, no B Teams will be registered. Once 20 teams (A Teams and B Teams) are registered, no additional registrations will be accepted.
- The Coach Registration Form, Parental Consent Forms, and Boat Waiver Forms should be turned in at the competition or as soon as team rosters are finalized.
- Team rosters can be modified after the registration deadline. However, coaches should make every effort to have their roster set by January 15, 2014.
- There are no charges for registration or for housing and meals during the Hurricane Bowl. Travel is the only anticipated expense for participating teams.
Team Resources & More Information
GCRL's Team Resources Page offers an extensive set of sample questions and resources for background reading and study.