2016 Hurricane Bowl
The Central Gulf Coast Regional Competition for the National Ocean Sciences Bowl (NOSB). The theme of the 2016 competition is Our Changing Ocean: Science for Strong Coastal Communities.
The Hurricane Bowl is an annual academic competition focusing on ocean sciences for high school students. The Hurricane Bowl is the Central Gulf Coast regional preliminary to the National Ocean Sciences Bowl. Both programs encourage students to increase their knowledge and understanding of the world’s oceans and to embrace and recognize academic excellence.
Theme Details provided in this pdf file.
The Hurricane Bowl hosts up to 20 teams of high school students from the Central Gulf Coast area, including Alabama, Arkansas, the Florida panhandle, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
The 2016 Hurricane Bowl will take place on February 27, 2016 at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory’s Marine Education Center at 703 East Beach Drive in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Agenda
- Team registration deadline: December 18, 2015
- Regional Competition Ocean Springs, Mississippi: February 26 - 27, 2016
- National Ocean Science Bowl®, Moorehead City, NC: April 21 - 24, 2016
Registration forms are available on the Team Resources Page as pdf files. You may download them and type information directly into the forms and save the completed forms. Completed team registration forms can be emailed as pdf files to Aaron Lamey. Alternatively, you may send paper forms by USPS mail or a delivery service to the attention of Aaron Lamey, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, 703 East Beach Dr., Ocean Springs, MS 39564.
- Team Registration (must be submitted for for each team by December 18, 2015.)
- Coach Registration (required for each coach)
- Parental Consent (required for each student participants)
- Boat Waiver Form (required for each participant)
The deadline for registration is December 18, 2015.
Schools may register a second team (Team B). We will accept a total of 20 teams, 12 A Teams and 8 B Teams. Each group will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Coach Registration Form, Parental Consent Forms, and Boat Waiver Forms should be turned in at the competition or as soon as team rosters are finalized.
- Team rosters can be modified after the registration deadline. However, coaches should make every effort to have their roster set by January 15, 2016.
- There are no charges for registration or for housing and meals during the Hurricane Bowl. Travel is the only anticipated expense for participating teams.
Team Resources & More Information
GCRL's Team Resources Page offers an extensive set of sample questions and resources for background reading and study.
Check out the 2015 National Ocean Sciences Bowl:
GCRL and Ocean Springs also hosted the finals of the 2015 National Ocean Sciences Bowl. Teams from across the country competed in Ocean Springs from April 23 - 26, 2015 to determine the national championship.
Congratulations to Longbeach High School on a first place finish in A bracket and Bay High on first place in B bracket..
1st: Long Beach High School
1st: Bay High School