Marine Education Center
Field Programs for the Public
Shark dissection, identification, and long lining… Visit the top shark fishing hotspots around the barrier islands aboard a research vessel. Catch and tag sharks to contribute to scientific research. It’s a “shark eat shark” world out there. Come and take a bite out of it!
For ages 12 -14 and 15-18.
Explore a Seashore
This new workshop series provides adult participants opportunities to explore the rich diversity and dynamic landscape of the northern Gulf of Mexico coastline. Typical workshops include a lab/lecture session and a field session on the water.
Workshop topics include:
- Debris Free Seas: Small Steps, Huge Impact
- Insights into Parasites of the Sound
- Sharks, Shores, and a Whole Lot More
- We Can Rebuild It… Stronger, Safer, Sustainable
- Phytoplankton and Food Webs
- Living on Mississippi’s Resilient Coast
- Marine Debris & Me: Track Your Garbage Footprint
Weather Postponements: Outdoor programs are dependent on weather and will be postponed if conditions are excessively uncomfortable or dangerous.