Lionfish Reward Program
April 10, 2014 - Funding for the reward program has been depleted and the program is temporarily suspended. We are seeking additional funding to reinstate and continue the reward program.
Wanted, Dead or Alive - $5 Reward
The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory is conducting research on lionfish in the Gulf of Mexico and needs your help in capturing specimens of this invasive fish. Lionfish have recently invaded the Gulf of Mexico and their potential effect on native species is unknown. You can help by reporting all lionfish captures and submitting your lionfish catch for study. You'll receive a $5 reward each lionfish submitted.
- Program begins June 1, 2013.
- Fish must be caught west of Mobile Bay to qualify for the reward.
- Record the following information for each fish:
- Type of habitat (rig, wreck, jetty, ...)
- Date and time of capture
- Location (within five miles)
- Depth of capture
- Fish may be captured by any legal means, including hook and line and spear.
- Deliver fish to GCRL or contact Alex Fogg at 443.995.6416 to arrange pickup.
- Fish may be fileted. If the fish cannot be delivered within a day of capture, they should be frozen.
- Funding for the reward and other expenses is provided by Mississippi Gulf Fishing Banks, Inc. (MGFB). An initial reward pool of $1000 is available; the reward will be discontinued when it is paid out. Pending evaluation of results, the program may be extended with additional reward funds.
The spines on the lionfish contain venom that can deliver a painful and potentially dangerous stick if not handled properly. Details on recognizing, collecting, and handling lionfish are provided in this flyer. Review this information before handling lionfish.
For more information or questions, contact Alex Fogg at 443.995.6416 or Alexander.Fogg@eagles.usm.edu.
Support the Research with a Lionfish T-Shirt
100% of the proceeds from the sale of these SPF 40 t-shirts goes to support the lionfish research program at GCRL. Order directly on the web or contact Alex Fogg to buy a shirt directly without the shipping delay.
- Long sleeve with all of the groups and organizations who have helped with the research ($40)
- Long sleeve without the logos ($35)
- Short sleeves without the logos ($30)
Online Resources for Lionfish
The lionfish invading Gulf of Mexico waters is the Red Lionfish, Pterois volitans.
- U. S. Geological Service (includes lionfish fact sheet and current range map)
- NOAA Ocean Service Education (with video)
- Lionfish resources from REEF
- Youtube video on safely fileting lionfish
- AL.Com - More Lionfish off Florida and Louisiana Than off Alabama, but There are Plenty Here, Alex Fogg was interviewed by Ben Raines regarding lionfish in the northern Gulf.