Resources for Mississippi Saltwater Anglers
Detailed weather and water conditions information is available on our Weather and Water Conditions page.
- Current Observations & Forecasts (Defaults to Ocean Springs, MS. Other locations may be selected.)
- NOAA Current Conditions, Forecasts, Watches and Warnings
- Coastal Waters Forecast, Pascagoula to Atchafalaya River Out 60 nm. Includes separate forecasts for 10 areas on the coast of Mississippi and southeastern Louisiana; select the most relevant forecast area for your purposes.
- Offshore Waters Forecast
- Real time salinity, water height, water temperature, and conductance data for sites along the Mississippi coast, including Biloxi Marsh, Back Bay, Ship Island Llight, Round Island Light, West Pascagoula River, and multiple locations in Mississippi Sound.
- Species profiles for red drum, cobia, flounder, kingfish, tarpon, and more
- Identification Guide to Sharks of Mississippi - downloadable field guide
Includes charts and downloadable GPS and Google Earth files for reef locations, from MDMR
Fishing in coastal and marine waters (saltwater, officially defined as waters south of Interstate 10) is regulated by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR). Freshwater fishing and boat registration are regulated by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks(MDWFP).
A saltwater fishing license is required to fish south of Highway 90. Above Highway 90 and below I-10, either a saltwater or freshwater license will suffice, and above I-10, a freshwater license is required.
- Guide to Mississippi Saltwater Fishing Rules and Regulations - 38-page downloadable pdf file
- Summary of Mississippi saltwater recreational catch limits
- Federal fishing regulations - from the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council
- Freshwater fishing regulations
- Mississippi saltwater fishing records - conventional tackle and fly rod. Click the appropriate link for the current records.
- Catch More Fish with Science - fishing seminars with scientists and local guides
- Angler Camp - five-day summer camp for ages 10 - 18
- Sport Fish Tag and Release Program
- Shark Research Programs
- Biloxi Fishing - Directory of Mississippi Gulf Coast Fishing Tournaments
- MS Gulf Coast Fishing Tournaments