Miss Peetsy B
Miss Peetsy B is a 34-foot fiberglass-hull vessel certified for 32 passengers, a captain, and one crew member. Originally built as a U. S. Navy liberty launch, she was previously used as a dolphin watch vessel in south Florida before being refitted for service at GCRL.
Miss Peetsy B was donated to the GCRL Marine Education Center by Jimmy Buffet and his sisters, Lucy Buffett and Laurie Buffett-McGuane, in honor of their mother who was passionate about education. The vessel's name comes from Mrs. Buffet's nickname - Peetsy B. The Buffet family, originally from Pascagoula, donated the vessel to help educate students about their coastal environment, and ultimately create a more informed citizenry to protect and maintain our local marine habitats.
Miss Peetsy B has been adapted by GCRL to use waste vegetable oil (WVO) as an alternative to diesel fuel. The WVO from the GCRL dining hall is used to operate the vessel, reducing fuel costs and emissions. There is also collaboration with Lucy Buffett's restaurant, LuLu's at Homeport in Gulf Shores, Alabama, to begin using WVO from their kitchen.
Miss Peetsy B is available for short-term, half-day to day, use. The vessel has no onboard restroom facilities. Cruises should be arranged with that in mind.
- Length: 33.8 feet
- Beam: 10.9 feet
- Draft: 6 feet
- Tonnage: 14 tons gross, 11 tons net
- U.S. Coast Guard inspected - Passenger Service, Coastwise Unrestricted, Documentation Number 1137299
- Built 1973 and operated by the United States Navy as the liberty launch Suribachi
- All educational and research programs are $375 for a four-hour cruise. Fuel is included in this price.
Additional Notes for Charters
- Cruise time should be four hours or less due to the lack of onboard restroom facilities.
- Food and drinks are not normally supplied, but may be arranged through GCRL dining hall by contacting Verlee Breland at at 228.872.4289 or email@example.com
- For more information or to reserve Miss Peetsy B, please call Pam Moeller at 228.818.8847 or send email to Pam.Moeller@usm.edu.
- For a four-hour cruise on the Miss Peetsy B there will be one captain and one mate.
- Request for Service forms are to be turned in at least five working days before the departure of any trip. Trip cancellations must be received at least five working days prior to departure or ½ the normal day rate will be charged. There will be no charge for weather days at the dock.
- The Captain will monitor weather conditions before departure and advise the charterer of conditions to determine if any work can be accomplished.
- The vessel is insured to cover normal research activities of the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory. Any additional insurance requirements must be provided by the chartering researchers. Address questions regarding insurance coverage to Kris Fulton at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory 228.875.2244.
- If a Request for Services form is not completed and filed in the Boat Operations office at least five working days prior to any trip, the trip will not be confirmed and could be subject to changes in dates.