R/V Tom McIlwain
The R/V Tom McIlwain is a 55-foot fiberglass vessel which carries a crew of two and a maximum of 30 adult passengers. The R/V Tom McIlwain was built by Westport Boat Builders of Westport, Washington and served as a U.S. Navy mine survey vessel before coming to the GCRL fleet in 2000. The primary uses of the vessel are to transport class field trips to and from the Mississippi barrier islands and to provide a platform for numerous in-house and external research projects. A normal day on the R/V Tom McIlwain includes trawling for fish, shrimp and other bottom dwelling marine life for observation/collection in the Mississippi sound; dolphin watching; and a trip to one of the barrier islands when weather permits.
The R/V Tom McIlwain has a draft of 4.5 feet and an average cruising speed of 16 knots. The vessel has one 13.5-kw 110/220V single-phase diesel generator, radar, VHF radiotelephone, DGPS plotter, and a graphic depth sounder. The vessel carries 1000 gallons of Diesel fuel and 250 gallons of potable water. The vessel also has a dual-spool hydraulic wench and a hydraulic A-frame used for trawling, box coring, and other overboard deployments. The R/V Tom McIlwain is insured to cover normal research activities of the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory. Any additional insurance requirements must be provided by the chartering researchers or program.
- Internal and affiliated programs are $1000 per eight-hour day and $100 per hour after eight hours. For more than 12 hours in any 24-hour period, there will be an additional $200 charge for an extra captain and deckhand.
- External and non-affiliated programs $1200 per eight-hour day and $150 per hour after eight hours. For more than 12 hours in any 24-hour period, there will be an additional $200 charge for an extra captain and deckhand.
- Fuel is not included in the base fee for the R/V Tom McIlwain and will be charged at the purchased rate.
Food and drinks are not normally supplied for day trips, but may be arranged through the GCRL dinning hall.
For more information or to reserve the R/V Tom McIlwain, please call Pam Moeller at (228) 818-8847 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Notes for Charters
- For a 12-hour day there will be one captain and one mate. If the vessel operates more than 12 hours in any 24-hour period, an additional captain and deckhand will be assigned at the appropriate pay rate person.
- A day starts when the vessel leaves the dock at Point Cadet and ends when the vessel is secured at Point Cadet. Once the vessel leaves the dock at Point Cadet the full day rate will be charged regardless of return time or work completed.
- Request for Service forms are to be turned in at least five working days before the departure of any trip. Trip cancellations must be received at least five working days prior to departure or ½ the normal day rate will be charged. There will be no charge for weather days at the dock.
- The Captain will monitor weather conditions before departure and advise the field party chief of conditions to determine if any work can be accomplished.
- All sampling equipment and consumables will be provided by the chartering researchers unless other arrangements are made. Food and drinks are not normally supplied for day trips.
- Collecting of samples will be a joint effort between the vessel crew and the chartering researchers. Sampling that uses any machinery will be conducted by the vessel crew; the processing and storage of all samples will be conducted by the chartering researchers.
- The R/V Tom McIlwain is insured to cover normal research activities of the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory. Any additional insurance requirements must be provided by the chartering researchers. Address questions regarding insurance coverage to Kris Fulton at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (228) 875-2244.
- If a "Request for Services" form is not completed and filed in the Boat Operations office at least 5 working days prior to any trip, the trip will not be confirmed and could be subject to changes in dates.