Dates: February 24th – March 28
Teams: 2 to 5 faculty, staff, or students
How it Works: Each team will collect as much recyclable material as possible for a weekly weigh-in to be held at a designated time and place. Weigh-ins will take place over a 5-week period, with no weigh-ins occurring during spring break (Mar. 10-14). Winners will be determined by the highest cumulative weight submitted by each team. The first and second place teams will be awarded valuable prizes. In addition, traveling trophies will be awarded this year as well. Each team will be asked to note which department or building they are representing. A trophy will be awarded to the top department/office/building and top Residence hall.
Prizes: 1st Place: Amazon Kindle Fire or equivalent Eagle dining dollars
2nd Place: wireless Bluetooth speaker, or equivalent Eagle dining dollars
- All materials collected must come from on-campus locations.
- Wall Street Journals are excluded and will not be accepted.
- Examples of acceptable materials include paper products (i.e. catalogs, junk mail, magazines, hard and soft cover books), cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, alkaline batteries, ink cartridges, etc.
- Examples of non-acceptable materials: glass, Styrofoam, appliances, computers, scrap metal, electronics and food waste.
- Any materials coming from a specific department must be approved by that department before acquisition.
- Each team may have as many helpers as they want, but prizes will be limited to 5 for each winning team.
- All materials must be in bags or boxes for weighing, and must fit on a 2’x2’ scale.
Registration: Teams can sign up for the competition by emailing the following information to Christina.Foreman@usm.edu.
Team Captain: Name, phone #, and email
Team Members: Name, email