Students & Sustainability
The Student body at the University of Southern Mississippi is the lifeblood of Southern Sustainability. Learn about you can get involved and be a part of our mission:
Interested in living sustainably? Here are some helpful tips and trick you can use to take the strain off the environment:
In the residence hall:
- Turn off unnecessary electrical devices when you leave your room for an extended period of time.
- Reuse, reuse, reuse! Whenever you can, use washable utensils and dishware; share magazines and books; use the same water bottle more than once.
- Buy a water filter instead of cases of bottled water.
- Conserve shower and faucet water.
- Report leaky faucets and showerheads.
In the dining hall:
- Limit your use of paper napkins.
- Only take as much as you can eat.
- Dispose of waste in the correct container.
In the classroom:
- Take notes on a computer instead of using notebooks.
- Use both sides of the paper when printing assignments.
- Take notes on both side of the paper.
- Use recycled paper.
- Organize carpools to lessen carbon emissions, and save gas money and parking spaces
- Keep your car tires inflated at all times so your car can run more on less gas.
- Ride a bike (click here for EcoEagle bike information) or walk whenever you can.