Sigma Tau Delta (English Honor Society) Alpha Pi Eta Chapter
Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society. Since its inception in 1924, more than 800 active chapters have sprung up around the world. USM Gulf Coast’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta aspires to promote the study of literature, to foster literacy, to provide social and professional networking for student members, and to participate actively in our campus student activities. Since its founding by Professor Damon Franke and twelve student members in 2008, the Alpha Pi Eta chapter (our official designation) has hosted bonfires on the beach, literary readings, bake sales, a New Orleans Night event, and inaugurations on campus and at local restaurants. We also have participated in the university’s Scholars’ Bowl, Homecoming Events, and Fall and Jazz Festivals. We edit the Coastlines journal issued from our campus, and we participate in the philanthropic promotion of reading at Gaston Point Elementary School. In 2012, we traveled to New Orleans to participate in the International Convention, and in 2014 we plan on traveling to Savannah, Georgia for the convention to be held there. We won the Outstanding Student Organization Award for the coast campus for the academic year 2011-2012.
To join students should have a 3.0 gpa overall and in at least two English classes beyond the freshman level. You do not have to be an English major or minor to join, and while encouraged there is no service commitment. There are one-time dues of $50. For further information, please contact Professor Damon Franke (Sponsor) at Damon.Franke@usm.edu.
You can see pictures of many of our activities on our facebook page. Like us at:
Top Ten Reasons to Join Sigma Tau Delta, Alpha Pi Eta Chapter
Recognition of Merit
1. You can put an Honor Society Membership on your resume.
2. Opportunity to wear honor regalia at graduation ceremonies (stole and tassels)
3. $40 one-time lifetime membership national dues and $10 onetime local dues
4. Dues include nice membership certificate and pin
5. Dues include subscription to Sigma Tau Delta journal of creative writing and journal of critical writing.
6. Develop a network of friends
7. Participate in bonfires, quiz bowls, literary readings, bake sales, and other activities
8. Eligible to apply for Sigma Tau Delta Scholarships
9. Eligible to participate in annual convention and to submit materials to society journals
10. Active members will be able to receive strong and personalized letters of recommendation from the chapter sponsor.