Building Better Business from the
Business Academic Success & Excellence
228-214-3496 or 228-214-3447
The College of Business BASE, located in the Business Building at the Southern Miss Gulf Coast campus, is an academic resource provided at no additional cost to students currently enrolled in the College of Business at the Southern Miss Gulf Park campus.
The BASE offers:
- Success Coaching
- Online tutorials (by request for select topics)
- Academic and professional development seminars
- Limited writing assistance
- Study rooms
- Video recording services for presentations
ACADEMIC SUCCESS COACHING
In order to facilitate the academic success of Southern Miss Gulf Coast students, individual and group Success Coaching (SC) sessions are available to students who are currently enrolled in the College of Business at Southern Miss Gulf Coast. The Southern Miss Gulf Coast BASE offers SC sessions by appointment.
As a supplement beyond the classroom, the SC sessions provided by the BASE are not meant to take the place of classroom instruction.
SC sessions are designed to assist students with clarification of course concepts. The BASE works closely with the professors of students who attend SC sessions to ensure optimal assistance is provided. SC sessions are offered for the following Southern Miss College of Business classes:
- Accounting (ACC 200, ACC 220, ACC 320, & ACC 325)
- Finance (FIN 300)
- Statistics (BA 201)
- Operations Management (MGT 325)
Writing assistance is also available through the BASE on a limited basis and will address specific questions pertaining to grammatical usage, the logical flow of sentences, and cohesiveness of thought in a paper.
We encourage students to utilize the Speaking and Writing Center located in the Gulf Coast Library at the Southern Miss Gulf Park campus for assistance with any writing or speaking assignment across the curriculum.
The Math Lab in the College of Science and Technology is another Southern Miss Gulf Coast resource for students.
The Southern Miss Gulf Coast Learning Commons offers additional resources for our students. Please click here to visit their website for more information.
STUDY ROOM and Media Room
For those seeking a quiet place to study or work on group projects, study space is available in the College of Business building. We are located across the parking lot from the FEC.
A media room provides computers and complimentary printing services for College of Business students.
Southern Miss Libraries online resources
- Style Guides – Citations (APA, MLA, Turabian)
- Finding articles using a database, Plagiarism, Database tutorials, Style Guide Tutorials
- Finding Quality Web Resources
- Guide to finding topics and information for papers and speeches
- Guidelines to determine if a publication is “Scholarly” or “Popular”
- The Speaking and Writing Center's resources for presentations
- Scroll to the “Writing” section at the bottom of the page for external links pertaining to writing guides and grammar.
ADDITIONAL ONLINE RESOURCES
Khan Academy provides over 2,400 short educational videos covering a wide range of topics including statistics and finance.
Purdue Owl offers over 200 writing resources including APA guidelines and grammatical usage.