The International Development (IDV) Doctoral (Ph.D.) Program accepts applications for both fall and spring admission. The deadline for the fall semester is May 15 of that year with a tentative acceptance notification of July 15 and the deadline for the spring semester is October 15 of the previous year with a tentative acceptance notification of December 15. Decisions on acceptance and non-acceptance are based on the applicant's completed application file. All materials will be reviewed following the application deadline. Applicants will be notified once a decision has been made.
Note that the University's Graduate Bulletin requires candidates for admission into doctoral programs to present a graduate-level grade point average of not less than 3.25 on a 4.00 scale. We cannot admit students whose GPA falls below this requirement.
Admissions are competitive.
A completed application must include each of the following items.
1. Graduate School Application, including a $50 application fee.
2. GRE or GMAT scores. We require the official scores from Educational Testing Service (ETS), www.ets.org.
3. 3 Letters of Recommendation, at least two from professors who know your work and the final one from a professor or professional who knows you. The forms for this can be found online at the Graduate Admissions website listed below.
4. Current resume/Curriculum Vitae.
5. Research Statement of 1500-2000 words explaining your research interests and how your interests fit within the program's research teams and faculty.
6. Research Paper or professional writing sample.
7. Undergraduate Transcript(s).
8. Masters Transcript(s).
All application materials are to be submitted online at the website for Graduate Admissions:
You will be asked to create an account where you will be able to log in at any time to update your application, upload documents and to check on the status of your application.
Students interested in financial aid should consult the following website:http://edudev.usm.edu/financialaid/
Students interested in applying for a graduate assistantship or if you have additional questions concerning the admissions process, please contact the IDV Recruiter/Program Coordinator: