Minors offered through the College of Science and Technology
- Biological Sciences: Students minoring in biological sciences must complete 18 hours in biological sciences, including at least seven hours numbered 300 or above taken at The University of Southern Mississippi, one of which must be an upper-level lab. Students minoring in biological sciences are strongly encouraged to take general chemistry 1 (CHE 106) and general chemistry 1 lab (CHE 106L).
- Chemistry: requires a minimum of 20 hours in CHE, including CHE 106/CHE 106L, CHE 107/CHE 107L,CHE 255/CHE 255L, CHE 256/CHE 256L and CHE 311/CHE 311L. Students may also enroll in CHE 392.CHE 100, CHE 104, CHE 104L, CHE 251, CHE 251L and CHE 409 will not count toward the 20 hours required for the minor.
- Computer Science: requires CSC 101, CSC 101L, CSC 102, CS 307 and nine hours from among the following set of courses: CSC 203, CSC 204, CSC 300, CSC 305, CSC 306, CSC 309, CSC 317, CSC 320, CSC 408, CSC 410, CSC 411, CSC 412, CSC 413, CSC 414, 414L, CSC 415, CSC 420, CSC 421,CSC 422, CSC 424, CSC 425, CSC 426, CSC 435, CSC 485, CSC 486, CSS 240, CSS 331, CSS 342,CSS 343, CSS 360, CSS 405, CSS 415, CSS 416, CSS 417, CSS 418, CSS 431, CSS 442, 444.
- Criminal Justice: a minimum of 18 hours in CJ, including CJ 200 . Only three hours of CJ 492 and/or three hours of CJ 480 may be used for credit toward the minor. Hours earned in the CJ practicum may not count toward the minor.
- Geography: a minimum of 18 hours including GHY 101 or GHY 102. Six hours should be taken from two of the following three groups of courses -- regional (400 - 409), techniques (410 - 417) or topical (remaining courses numbered 300 and above). The remaining nine hours can be chosen from courses numbered 500 and above.
- Industrial Engineering Technology: Please note that minor requirements may not be satisfied by transfer of courses from institutions that are not accredited by TAC of ABET.
- Marine Science: MAR 210, MAR 300, MAR 301, MAR 300L or MAR 301L and 7 additional hours of MAR courses numbered 300 or above.
- Mathematics: a minimum of 18 hours of MAT courses to include at least six hours taken at The University of Southern Mississippi drawn from the list of acceptable courses in the major (See degree plan). Students seeking the minor in mathematics are encouraged to consult with math faculty when selecting courses.
- Construction Engineering: BCT 235/BCT 235L, BCT 336, BCT 458/BCT 458L and nine additional hours of construction engineering technology electives not required by the student's major (recommended courses are BCT 455/BCT 455L, BCT 480, BCT 486/BCT 486L).
To declare a minor, please contact the student services coordinator responsible for the field of study in which your desired minor resides.