About Southern Connection Leadership Team
Want to engage in student activities that develop your leadership skills?
The Southern Connection Student Leadership Team is the perfect opportunity for you! It provides various activities for students to learn more about leadership and develop their personal leadership style.
The team is a diverse group of students leaders selected to serve as the host group for Gold Rush, our summer orientation and registration days. They also serve as leadership ambassadors for university events, including commencement and Welcome Week. The team consists of 12 members and are selected in the spring semester. For more information email email@example.com.
Southern Connection student leaders have:
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- A desire to help new and returning students
- Creativity and commitment
- Southern Miss spirit!
Southern Connection responsibilities include:
- Serve as the host group and leadership ambassadors for campus events
- Actively participate in Welcome Week activities and planning
- Promote and assist in the planning of campus events
- Serve as orientation leaders for Gold Rush Orientation and Registration
- Leading small group sessions with new students
- Acquaint new students with Southern Miss traditions, student services information, campus environments, activities, and facilities
- Exhibit a strong general knowledge of University policies and procedures, Department of Student Services procedures, academic information, campus activities as well as history and traditions of the University.
- Assist the Office of Admissions as needed
(campus tours and individual site visits)
- Monthly meetings and leadership retreat
Southern Connection qualifications:
- Candidate must be a currently enrolled, full or part-time (at least 6 hours), degree seeking graduate or undergraduate student at Southern Miss Gulf Coast for the 2014 - 2015 academic year.
- Possess a 2.25 cumulative GPA (non-rounded) at Southern Miss and must maintain a 2.25 GPA during their tenure on the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team. Transfer GPA requirement is also 2.25 cumulative (non-rounded).
- Student leaders must remain in good academic standing and judicial standing with the University, not violate the Student Code of Conduct and/or Academic Integrity Policy, and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner both in person and in social media outlets (myspace.com, Facebook, etc.).
- Ability to work effectively and relate with a diverse group of team members, students, staff, faculty, and administrators
- Excellent communication skills
Southern Connection scholarship:
$1000 scholarship opportunity available to qualified applicants
Southern Connection application and selection process:
Student must complete the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team online application by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 17.
We strongly encourage students to have one (1) recommendation from a full-time faculty and/or staff member at Southern Miss Gulf Coast or current institution. Faculty/staff may complete the online recommendation form.
Selection for the the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team will be held on: Wednesday, April 22; Thursday, April 23 and Friday, April 24. Interviews will be held in Hardy Hall 219. Students will participate in a 20-30 minute interview with the Southern Connection Student Leadership Team selection committee. Students will be able to sign up for an interview time when they complete their online application. Attire for interview is business casual. Show us your Golden Eagle spirit!
- All students participating in the interview process will be notified on their University email account regarding their application and selection status.
- For questions regarding the application or selection process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 228.865.4577.