To honor the people of South Mississippi and the community that supports our university, the Department of Student Services is hosting a university-wide day of community service called The Big Event.
Our goal is to have 100 student, faculty and staff volunteers from Southern Miss help our local community!
Saturday, March 22
Meet at Fleming Education Center Rotunda
Gulf Park Campus, Long Beach
- 8:00 a.m. - Welcome, Check-In and Light Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. - Volunteer Site Departure (Transportation Provided)
- Noon - Free Lunch at Volunteer Site
- 2:00 p.m. - Return to Gulf Park Campus and Reflection
- DREAM Child Development Center of Hattiesburg:
Volunteers will paint canvases with inspirational quotes to be displayed
in the development center after they rebuild from the destruction of the tornado that devastated the Hattiesburg area in February 2013. This is a child friendly activity for ages 5 - 16. Volunteers for this activity will stay on campus.
- Bay-Waveland Habitat for Humanity: Volunteers will be caulking and painting (exterior and interior). All supplies will be provided. Please wear tennis shoes. Volunteers must be 16 years or older and accompanied by an adult. This activity will take place outdoors.
- Boys and Girls Club of South Mississippi:
Volunteers will be painting offices used by the staff of the Boys and Girls Club. Volunteers must be 16 years or older and accompanied by an adult. This activity will take place indoors.
Registration & T-Shirt Information
- To volunteer for the Big Event, pre-registration is required.
- Registration deadline is Thursday, March 20.
- Volunteers will be provided lunch and FREE Big Event t-shirt
(limited quantity to the first 80 volunteers).
- Register today for The Big Event!
- Volunteers will park and check-in at the Fleming Education Center.
- Transportation is provided to the off-campus volunteer sites.
- The child-friendly volunteer activity will remain on-campus.
Please email email@example.com for information.