To honor the people of South Mississippi and the community that has supported our university, the Department of Student Services is hosting a university-wide day of community service called The Big Event.
Our goal is to have 100 volunteers from Southern Miss help our local community! Register today for The Big Event!
We also provide volunteer opportunites for children and their parents!
Friday, April 5th
Meet at Fleming Education Center Rotunda
Gulf Park Campus, Long Beach
- 8:00 a.m. - Welcome, Check-In and Light Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. - Volunteer Site Departure (Transportation Provided)
- Noon - Free Lunch at Volunteer Site
- 2:00 p.m. - Return to Gulf Park Campus and Reflection
- DREAM Child Development Center of Hattiesburg:
Volunteers will paint canvases with inspirational quotes to be displayed
in the development center after they rebuild from the destruction of the tornado that devastated the Hattiesburg area in February 2013.
This is a child friendly activity for ages 5 - 16. Volunteers for this activity will stay on campus.
- Bay-Waveland Habitat for Humanity:
Volunteers will be planting 50,000 daffodil bulbs at the Bay St. Louis Habitat for Humanity location. All supplies will be provided.
Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
- Gulf Coast Community Ministries:
Volunteers will be sorting canned goods for the food pantry and clothing items for the closet. Some volunteers will assist with light yard work (i.e. pulling weeds, sweeping, etc.).
Please email email@example.com for information.